Monday 29 August 2016
facebook.com/Outlookindia twitter.com/outlookindia digimag.outlookindia.com instagram.com/outlookindia youtube.com/user/OutlookMagazine

Sachin Under Attack in RS for Absence, Granted Leave

New Delhi
File-PTI Photo/Shashank Parade

Sachin Tendulkar was again under attack in Rajya Sabha today for his prolonged absence even as the cricket icon sought to control damage by applying for leave for the entire Budget session, which was granted amid strong opposition from members.

Members cutting across party line termed his long absence as "disrespect to House and nation" and there were demands for seeking an explanation from him particularly when he was here in Delhi to attend a programme near Parliament last week but did not come to Rajya Sabha.

The issue cropped up during Zero Hour as soon as Deputy Chairman P J Kurien sought permission of the House for grant of leave to Sachin, who has attended the House only three times since his nomination over two years back.

Kurien said Sachin has sent a leave application expressing inability to attend the 232nd session (current session) of Rajya Sabha on account of "professional and personal commitments and family exigencies."

Naresh Agarwal (SP) immediately objected to grant of leave to him saying, "Sachin Tendulakar had come to Delhi to attend a function at Vigyan Bhawan near Parliament but did not come to the House. Members' views are unanimous that he has no respect for the House."

Sachin was at a programme in Vigyan Bhawan, nearly 3 km from Parliament, on August 8 where he said he could not attend the House because his elder brother had to undergo a heart surgery.

Responding to Agarwal's contention, Kurien observed, "So many members remain absent for various reasons and it is for the Chair to investigate why they didn't come.''

Advertisement

 

To this Agarwal retorted, "Sachin should give an explanation why he did not come to the House and Chair will have to note his (Agarwal's) objection. Tell me under which rule I cannot object to it. Please bring my objection to record."

Satyavrat Chaturvedi (Cong) too supported Agarwal saying, "A wrong precedent is being set. No one should be allowed to remain absent like this. This is not acceptable. They should realise that they cannot do like this."

Leader of the Opposition Ghulam Nabi Azad was seen urging Chaturvedi to sit down.

Kurien said, "His leave application has been received. We have to take it on face value as we are not here to probe and find out the veracity of it. Every member is a respected member. Leave is granted."

To this, a large number of members shouted "no, no" in chorus.

Agarwal again objected to it saying members have "respect to the Chair" but grant of leave is not acceptable.

Naresh Gujral (SAD) supported Agarwal saying, "It is disrespect to the country. If eminent people who are nominated to the House do not come, it will set a bad precedent."

Amid protests, Kurien said "no discussion is allowed on the subject" and added, "In the leave letter he has written he is unable to come due to professional and personal commitment and family exigencies. It is not for the Chair and members to agree...Permission to remain absent is granted."

Tendulkar was nominated by Congress to the Rajya Sabha for his exemplary contribution in sports.

He has been under attack in Parliament for attending the House for only three days since his nomination in April 2012. He came to the House last time on December 13, 2013.

Last week when the issue was raised in the Upper House, Kurien has said, "As per Article 104 of the Constitution, if a member is absent from either House of Parliament for a period of 60 days then the seat is considered vacant. In case of Sachin Tendulkar, he has not attended the Parliament for 40 days."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

READ MORE IN:
PLACES: New Delhi
TAGS: Parliament
SECTION: National
OUTLOOK 11 August, 2014
© Copyright PTI. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of any PTI content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without their prior written consent.
Download the Outlook ​Magazines App. Six magazines, wherever you go! Play Store and App Store

Post a Comment

You are not logged in, please Log in or Register
  • Daily Mail
THE LATEST ISSUE
CLICK IMAGE FOR CONTENTS
OUTLOOK ON TWITTER
POLLS

In 1999, India and France entered into a $3.5 billion deal for the supply of these submarines. The first of the 6 subs is out on sea trials for the last three months and is to be commissioned later this year. At this stage, a newspaper in Australia has revealed secret data on the submarines, plausibly stolen from India. Indian Defence authorities have ruled out any pilferage of data from India.

POLL STARTED ON: Aug 26, 2016
Quiz
Brazil’s Rio de Janeiro is hosting the 31st Olympic Games from August 5 to 21. This is the first Olympics being held in South America and is going on even as a majority Brazilians are unhappy with their rulers. Here’s a quiz on some random Olympic facts and related trivia.
QUIZ STARTED ON: Aug 11, 2016
Advertisement