Sachin, Rekha's Absence From RS Unjustified: Javed Akhtar
Noted lyricist and Rajya Sabha member Javed Akhtar today joined the list of MPs attacking cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar and Bollywood diva Rekha for remaining absent from the House, saying it is unjustifiable.
"There is no way we can justify MPs' absence from the Rajya Sabha, especially Sachin's. His presence counts because he is a sports legend. His words carry weight and he can have a large impact on the people," Akhtar said.
He was talking to reporters here at the launch of a song for promoting child immunisation.
Since their nomination two years ago, Sachin has attended the Rajya Sabha only three days and Rekha seven days. Their absence has invited criticism from many leaders and fans alike.
Akhtar's remark came days after several members cutting across party line termed their long absence as "disrespect to House and nation".
Akhtar, who has penned the song, also feels that politicians and celebrities from the creative community should dedicate themselves to the social causes because they are public figures and own a responsibility to the country.
"It would be a crime on my part if I do not contribute in a social cause. One will feel guilty if somebody in my position would not do his or her bit for the country. MPs should come forward and even the artistes should promote causes like child healthcare," he said.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- K.P.S. Gill: The Man Who Won The Terror Battle In Punjab
- K.P.S. Gill Ruled Indian Hockey With An Iron Fist
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10