Sachin, Rekha's Absence From RS Unjustified: Javed Akhtar
Noted lyricist and Rajya Sabha member Javed Akhtar today joined the list of MPs attacking cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar and Bollywood diva Rekha for remaining absent from the House, saying it is unjustifiable.
"There is no way we can justify MPs' absence from the Rajya Sabha, especially Sachin's. His presence counts because he is a sports legend. His words carry weight and he can have a large impact on the people," Akhtar said.
He was talking to reporters here at the launch of a song for promoting child immunisation.
Since their nomination two years ago, Sachin has attended the Rajya Sabha only three days and Rekha seven days. Their absence has invited criticism from many leaders and fans alike.
Akhtar's remark came days after several members cutting across party line termed their long absence as "disrespect to House and nation".
Akhtar, who has penned the song, also feels that politicians and celebrities from the creative community should dedicate themselves to the social causes because they are public figures and own a responsibility to the country.
"It would be a crime on my part if I do not contribute in a social cause. One will feel guilty if somebody in my position would not do his or her bit for the country. MPs should come forward and even the artistes should promote causes like child healthcare," he said.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Watch: Delhi College Guard Brutally Beats Street Dog To Death, Case Registered After Video Goes Viral
- Modi Promised 'Acche Din' Like SRK In DDLJ, Ended Up Being Sholay's Gabbar, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Pakistan Senate Passes Landmark Hindu Marriage Bill
- Bangladesh Bans Irrfan Khan Starrer Biopic No Bed of Roses