Russian UN Envoy Accuses Ukraine of Crash Site Takeover
Russia's envoy to the United Nations accused Ukraine of violating a key Security Council resolution with its campaign to seize control of the crash site of Malaysian airliner MH17.
Vitaly Churkin said Ukrainian forces were targeting civilians in the area and failing to abide by the resolution that calls on all sides to refrain from fighting near the crash site.
"Ukrainian security officials have said that it was their intention to take over the site militarily," Churkin told a news conference at UN headquarters in New York.
"That of course would amount to a direct violation of Resolution 2166."
The Security Council last week adopted the Australian-backed resolution condemning the downing of the passenger plane that left 298 dead, demanding that all military operations cease and calling for a full investigation.
"Continued military activity by Ukrainian forces in the vicinity of the crash site is clearly not compatible with the resolution that the Security Council has adopted," he said.
After explosions and fighting blocked a new attempt by Dutch and Australian police to access the east Ukraine crash site, Kiev confirmed today that its forces were engaged in fierce clashes with rebels nearby.
The Ukrainian military said its troops had battled their way into a string of towns around the scene, including Shakhtarsk, 10 kilometers away.
Churkin said Kiev's offensive "has exceeded all humanly imaginable limits" with shelling of cities and towns. "Civilians are dying by the dozens," he said.
Russia and Ukraine have traded accusations over the fighting in east Ukraine, with Kiev saying that Moscow is backing separatist rebels and most likely provided the weaponry that brought down the passenger plane.
FROM OUTLOOKAviationThe skies turn friendlier as foreign airlines wake up to the potential of the Indian business traveller...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBView From BritainYou spend years trying to get people to take an inmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESFarnborough (UK), Jul 23 (PTI) Keeping in view themore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Regrets India's Rejection of 'Discuss Kashmir' Proposal
- Will Scorpene Leak Harm Rafale Deal? Parrikar Doesn't Rule It Out
- Can't Order Establishment of 'Ram Rajya' in the Country: SC
- 11 Turkish Police Killed in Bombing, PKK Blamed
- Haji Ali Dargah Should Allow Women, Says Bombay HC
- 7 Killed as Gunmen Storm Beach Restaurant in Somali Capital
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Will Expedite Trial in Sheena Case: Judge
- Narsingh Would Have Won the Silver, Claims WFI Official
- Punishment Under Section 304A IPC Absolutely Inadequate: SC
- BJP Alleges Nexus Between SP and BSP
- Centre Cuts State Funds But Spends Money on PM's Suit: Mamata
- Four-Year-Old Girl Raped on School Campus in Bhubaneswar
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED