Rupee Falls Nine Paise Vs US Dollar to End at 60.56
Retreating from over three-week highs, the Indian rupee today fell nine paise to close at 60.56 against the Greenback on late profit booking in local equities and fresh dollar demand from oil importers.
However, sustained capital inflows and a weak dollar overseas limited the rupee fall, a forex dealer said.
At the Interbank Foreign Exchange (Forex) market, the domestic unit commenced lower at 60.52 a dollar from previous close of 60.47. It tried to recover and logged an intra-day high of 60.41 on initial strong rally in local stocks.
However, the rupee met with strong resistance on fag-end profit booking in local shares and renewed dollar demand from importers, mainly oil refiners, to meet their month-end requirements. It fell back to a low of 60.58 before settling at 60.56, a fall of nine paise or 0.15 per cent.
Last Friday, it had gained 20 paise to end at more than three-week high of 60.47.
The Indian benchmark S&P BSE Sensex, which was up by over 210 points at mid-session, washed out early sharp gains and closed with a marginal gain of 17.47 points or 0.07 per cent.
Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs) injected Rs 302.06 crore last Friday, as per provisional data.
The dollar index against its major global rivals was down by 0.14 per cent.
Pramit Brahmbhatt, Veracity Group, CEO said: "Rupee initially showed some positive trend taking cues from local equity market which made new intra-day highs. However, the rupee lost his early gains and closed weak. The trading range for the spot rupee is expected to be within 60.20 to 61.00."
FROM OUTLOOKBook extractThe PM did not really comprehend the devaluation package negotiated by experts. Her instincts told her there would...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBRBI: Change of GuardStatement by the new Reserve Bank of India governomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESMumbai, Dec 23 (PTI) Sustained demand for the dollmore from WIRES>>>
- My Party and My Family Are United: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Tata-Mistry Tussle Heads to the Courts As Tatas File Caveats in SC, HC, NCLT
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Six Members of a Family Injured in Pak Shelling in Jammu
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- E-Ballot Facility for Service Voters Gets Govt Nod: CEC
- Snatch Tribal Rights, Face Action, Warns PM
- 300-Year-Old British Coin, One of Only 20 Ever Minted, Found in 4-Year-Old's Treasure Chest
- Muslim Community Must Seriously Ponder Over Triple Talaq: RSS
- Rename HRD Ministry as Education Ministry: Sisodia to Javadekar
- Saudi Man Dumps Bride for Sharing Pictures on Snapchat Just 2 Hrs After Wedding
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia