Rupee Falls Nine Paise Vs US Dollar to End at 60.56
Retreating from over three-week highs, the Indian rupee today fell nine paise to close at 60.56 against the Greenback on late profit booking in local equities and fresh dollar demand from oil importers.
However, sustained capital inflows and a weak dollar overseas limited the rupee fall, a forex dealer said.
At the Interbank Foreign Exchange (Forex) market, the domestic unit commenced lower at 60.52 a dollar from previous close of 60.47. It tried to recover and logged an intra-day high of 60.41 on initial strong rally in local stocks.
However, the rupee met with strong resistance on fag-end profit booking in local shares and renewed dollar demand from importers, mainly oil refiners, to meet their month-end requirements. It fell back to a low of 60.58 before settling at 60.56, a fall of nine paise or 0.15 per cent.
Last Friday, it had gained 20 paise to end at more than three-week high of 60.47.
The Indian benchmark S&P BSE Sensex, which was up by over 210 points at mid-session, washed out early sharp gains and closed with a marginal gain of 17.47 points or 0.07 per cent.
Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs) injected Rs 302.06 crore last Friday, as per provisional data.
The dollar index against its major global rivals was down by 0.14 per cent.
Pramit Brahmbhatt, Veracity Group, CEO said: "Rupee initially showed some positive trend taking cues from local equity market which made new intra-day highs. However, the rupee lost his early gains and closed weak. The trading range for the spot rupee is expected to be within 60.20 to 61.00."
FROM OUTLOOKBook extractThe PM did not really comprehend the devaluation package negotiated by experts. Her instincts told her there would...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBRBI: Change of GuardStatement by the new Reserve Bank of India governomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESMumbai, Dec 23 (PTI) Sustained demand for the dollmore from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED