Rupee Falls Nine Paise Vs US Dollar to End at 60.56
Retreating from over three-week highs, the Indian rupee today fell nine paise to close at 60.56 against the Greenback on late profit booking in local equities and fresh dollar demand from oil importers.
However, sustained capital inflows and a weak dollar overseas limited the rupee fall, a forex dealer said.
At the Interbank Foreign Exchange (Forex) market, the domestic unit commenced lower at 60.52 a dollar from previous close of 60.47. It tried to recover and logged an intra-day high of 60.41 on initial strong rally in local stocks.
However, the rupee met with strong resistance on fag-end profit booking in local shares and renewed dollar demand from importers, mainly oil refiners, to meet their month-end requirements. It fell back to a low of 60.58 before settling at 60.56, a fall of nine paise or 0.15 per cent.
Last Friday, it had gained 20 paise to end at more than three-week high of 60.47.
The Indian benchmark S&P BSE Sensex, which was up by over 210 points at mid-session, washed out early sharp gains and closed with a marginal gain of 17.47 points or 0.07 per cent.
Foreign Portfolio Investors (FPIs) injected Rs 302.06 crore last Friday, as per provisional data.
The dollar index against its major global rivals was down by 0.14 per cent.
Pramit Brahmbhatt, Veracity Group, CEO said: "Rupee initially showed some positive trend taking cues from local equity market which made new intra-day highs. However, the rupee lost his early gains and closed weak. The trading range for the spot rupee is expected to be within 60.20 to 61.00."
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 14 Men Molest 2 Women, Posts Video On The Social Media
- Defending The Use of 'Human Shield', General Bipin Rawat Says 'Dirty War' In Kashmir Has To Be Fought With 'Innovative Ways'
- After Rahul, Now Akhilesh Denied Entry to Violence-Hit Saharanpur
- Three Booked For Abducting, Raping Minor Girl In Rajasthan
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10