RSS-BJP Distorting History for Political Gains: CPI(M)
With Minority Affairs Minister Najma Heptulla stoking a controversy by reportedly calling all Indians "Hindus", CPI(M) today accused the RSS-BJP of "distorting" history to serve their ideological and political ends.
"RSS-BJP and their government are completely distorting history and historical record... This is being done to serve the Sangh's ideological and political project of converting our secular, democratic republic into their version of a rabidly intolerant, fascistic Hindu Rashtra," senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury told PTI here.
His comments came after Heptulla stoked a row by reportedly saying all Indians were "Hindus", although the minister later clarified that she had called all Indians 'Hindi', which she said was the Arabic term for people living in India.
Yechury said, "The fact is that earlier travellers from beyond the Hindukush mountains had named our land as (belonging to) those beyond the Indus river.
"Since in the Arabic alphabet, the letter 'H' is often used for 'S', Sindhustan was called Hindustan and the people living here down the millennia referred to as Hindustanis."
- Congress Bastion Amethi Goes To Polls
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Want To Make Universities Laboratories For Separatist Experiments?' Naidu Asks Congress, Left
- Madras High Court Exempts Class Xth Non-Tamil Students From Writing Examination In Tamil
- Banned SIMI Chief And 10 Others Given Life Imprisonment In Sedition Case
- Airtel Removes Roaming Charges on Calls, Data
- Now, BJP MP Pratap Simha Compares Kargil Martyr's Daughter With Dawood Ibrahim
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events