RS Questions Tendulkar & Rekha's Absence
Cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar and yesteryears Bollywood star Rekha today came under attack in Rajya Sabha for attending the House for only three and seven days, respectively, since their nomination two years back.
P Rajeeve of CPI-M raised the issue of long-duration absence of celebrities as he wanted to know whether they have sought permission for it.
Responding to this, Deputy Chairman P J Kurien said Rajeeve and some other members had raised the issue earlier but there was no violation.
"As per Article 104 of the Constitution, if a member is absent from either House of Parliament for a period of 60 days then the seat is considered vacant. In case of Sachin Tendulkar, he has not attended the Parliament for 40 days whereas Rekha's absence is less than this," he observed.
Kurien said Tendulkar was nominated to the Upper House in April 2012 and has attended the session for three days. "Last time he had come to the House on December 13, 2013," he said.
About Rekha, he said she had joined in April 2012 and has attended the session for seven days. "Last time she attended the House on February 19, 2014." Yesterday, NCP leader D P Tripathi had raised the issue outside Parliament.
"I like him (Sachin) very much as a cricketer and I really like Rekha as an actress but their conduct as nominated members of Rajya Sabha is despicable to say the least.
"By their behaviour and continued absence, they have insulted Parliament and Indian Constitution. Such people should have never been nominated to this august house. I pity those MPs who get themselves clicked with Rekha and Sachin Tendulkar," Tripathi had said.
Some other members had also expressed a desire that they felt the cricketing icon should contribute more.
JD(U) MP Ali Anwar said Sachin makes no contribution to parliamentary work "so there is no benefit" of having him in Parliament.
"Those who have made him MP should answer it but the question about him is valid. He is an accomplished person in his field but what is his need here? Chair will take a call according to rules and regulations," Anwar said.
Noted lyricist Javed Akhtar, who is Nominated member of Rajya Sabha, said, "The membership (of Rajya Sabha) is not a trophy that you collected and went away. This is a responsibility, a privilege that you will do something. This is not good."
Sitaram Yechury of CPI(M) said, "A question has been raised because people in the Rajya Sabha want him among them. The Chair has said clearly that it is not in violation of laws."
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordI want to expresse shock and protest the traffickimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- Tatas and Mistry Trade Notices
- Yashwant Sinha Led Delegation Meets Hurriyat Leader Geelani to Break Kashmir Impasse
- Pakistan Army Violates Ceasefire in Noushera Sector in Rajouri
- SC Directs Vijay Mallya to Disclose His Foreign Assets in Four Weeks
- Delhi: One Person Killed In Blast At Naya Bazar, Rajnath Calls Delhi CP
- Embraer Paid USD 5.76 Million to Shell Company for IAF Plane Deal
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- Watch: The Trailer For Kahaani 2 Is Out, And It Is Gripping
- Convene TN Assembly on Cauvery Issue: All-Party Meet to State Govt
- SP's Internal Problem Result of Dynasty Politics: Naidu
- Kenya: 12 Killed in Bomb Blast by Shabaab Militants at a Guesthouse
- Tatas and Mistry Trade Notices
- Fire in Hospital's ICU Unit Claims Six Lives in Malaysia, Three Indians Among Dead
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman Of Tata Sons, Ratan Tata To Hold Interim Position
- Ratan Tata: 'I Think Everybody Knows Where The Intolerance Is Coming From...'
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia