Rs 108 Cr Unpaid Power Charges Due From Assam Depts
Various Assam government departments have not paid electricity bills running into Rs 108 crore even as the average tariff for common people is proposed to be hiked by 17 per cent to Rs 7.45 per unit in 2014-15.
According to an official document, different government departments have a total arrear of Rs 108 crore for electricity consumption till March 31, 2014.
Of this, the highest amount is due from the Industry Department at Rs 24.34 crore.
It is followed by Rs 19.36 crore due from the Department of Public Health Engineering, Rs 17.08 crore due from Health and Family Planning Department and Rs 13.15 crore due from the Irrigation department, the document stated.
Some other important government wings that have payments due are Director General of Police office (Rs 5.90 crore), Judiciary (Rs 2.78 crore) and PWD (Rs 1.31 crore).
The number of district administrations comprising DC, SDO, BDO and GAD have unpaid bills worth Rs 7.05 crore.
The document said bill amounts from government functionaries are collected as per rules framed by the Assam Electricity Regulatory Commission (AERC).
It said that during power cuts in the state, the power distribution utility normally tried to maintain uninterrupted electricity connection at residences of ministers, MLAs and IAS officers on account of "security" reasons.
The non-recovery of this huge amount has put the Power Department in a quandary as the state has a peak hour electricity shortage of 225 MW against the demand of 1,400 MW, while it is 113 MW against 1,062 MW during off-peak hours.
To meet the shortage, the Assam Power Distribution Company Ltd buys power on daily basis from Indian Energy Exchange through short-term open bidding.
Power Department officials, meanwhile, said that the government was considering a proposal to hike the average electricity tariff to Rs 7.45 per unit from Rs 6.37 a unit in 2014-15.
The hike is proposed due to non-recovered "revenue gap, uncontrollable electricity purchase and fuel cost", it added.
The AERC will take a decision about hiking the rate after public hearing and complain to the proposal.
During the last 12 years, the Centre has given grants to the tune of Rs 3,748.13 crore to Assam for various scheme under the electricity department.
Of this, 10 per cent have been spent on power generation by seven projects in the state.
Some of the different Central government funded schemes are -- Pradhan Mantri Gramodaya Yojana, Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana and Restructured Accelerated Power Development and Reforms Programme.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman