Roman Polanski in Legal Bid to Return to US, Seeks to End 1977 Child Rape Case
Fugitive movie director Roman Polanski plans to return to the United States, his lawyer said today, and is seeking assurances he will do no further jail time over the statutory rape of a 13-year-old girl.
The award-winning director of The Pianist and Chinatown has been on the run for almost 40 years but claims he reached a plea deal in the case which would keep him out of jail, attorney Harland Braun told AFP.
Braun has written to Los Angeles County Superior Court judge Scott Gordon to unseal a secret transcript of the testimony of the prosecutor in the Polanski case.
The filmmaker was accused of drugging Samantha Gailey before raping her at a friend's house in Los Angeles in 1977.
He admitted having unlawful sex with a minor, or statutory rape, as part of a plea bargain and spent 42 days in Chino State Prison before being released.
He claims Judge Laurence Rittenband reneged on his deal and told prosecutors Polanski should spend up to 50 years in prison, and the filmmaker fled to Europe.
He spent almost a year in custody in Switzerland as authorities tried to extradite him back to the US but a Polish court ruled Polanski has served his time under the plea deal.
Braun believes the secret testimony supports Olanski's claim that had an agreement to serve just 48 days.
"After we confirm the contents, we will urge the court to recognize the Polish decision resulting from a litigation initiated by the (district attorney) and in which the DA participated," Braun said.
"If the court accepts the principle of comity, Roman can come to Los Angeles and to court without fear of custody.
- Maoist Attacks: CRPF Headless For Over Two Months
- Prepare for 'Movement' If Exit Poll Results Come True, Says Kejriwal
- Chetan Bhagat's Book in DU Syllabus
- Dhinakaran Accepts Meeting Middleman
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Official Websites Of 2 IITs, AMU, DU Hacked, Pro-Pak Slogans Displayed
- Union Minister Kalraj Mishra Says Involvement Of People Through Khadi Industry Can Help Uproot Terrorism
- Shortage of AIDS Drugs: HC Seeks Centre, Delhi Govt Stand
- SC Grants Bail To Former AMU Scholar & Sabarmati Express Blast Accused Who Spent Over 16 Years In Jail
- Dry, Hot Weather Continues in Capital
- Inability to Fight Naxals Due to CM Raman Singh's Lack of Will: Cong
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED