Retail Inflation Rises to 7.96% in July on Costly Veggies
Retail inflation inched up to 7.96 per cent in July, mainly due to higher prices of food items such as vegetables, fruits and milk.
Retail inflation measured on consumer price index (CPI) in June was 7.46 per cent (revised upwards from 7.31 per cent). It was at 9.64 per cent in the same month a year ago.
Food inflation in July this year rose to 9.36 per cent as against 7.97 per cent in June, according to the government data released today.
Vegetables were costlier in July with a double-digit price rise of 16.88 per cent, a steep rise from 8.73 per cent in June.
Fruit prices went up to 22.48 in July as against 20.64 per cent in June.
The rate of price rise in pulses was 5.85 per cent.
Inflation in milk and milk products stood at 11.26 per cent during the month under review.
Amongst others, food and beverages saw a prices rise of 9.16 per cent and non-alcoholic beverages prices at 6.35 per cent.
Inflation in cereals, however, eased marginally in July to 7.45 per cent as against 7.6 per cent in the previous month.
Other protein rich items such as eggs, fish and meat too witnessed lower inflation in July over the previous month.
Inflation in rural and urban areas in July was 8.45 per cent and 7.42 per cent, respectively. In June, it was 7.87 per cent and 6.82 per cent.
Commenting on the data, Samiran Chakraborty, Head of Research, Standard Chartered Bank (India), said the trend witnessed in prices is not comforting.
FROM OUTLOOKEconomyPre-election moves keep inflation at a below-seven rate, at the cost of industry...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor The RecordGood morning. It is a pleasure to welcome learnedmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESMumbai, Sept 3 (PTI) Prices of castorseeds futuresmore from WIRES>>>
- Rate Cut Possible Only If Inflation Eases: Rajan
- Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa Conferred Khel Ratna Along With Jitu Rai
- Curfew Lifted in Kashmir After 51 Days of Lockdown
- SC Pulls Up Azam Khan for Calling Bulandshahr Gangrape a 'Political Conspiracy'
- Submarine Data Leak Being Viewed 'Very Seriously': Navy chief
- Usain Bolt Won Nine Olympic Golds Because Of Beef: BJP MP
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Racism Row After South Africa School Asks Girls to Straighten Hair
- Dana Majhi Takes Part in 'Padayatra' Organised by Congress
- NIA Summons Geelani's Elder Son for Questioning
- John Kerry Samples Delhi Traffic, Gets Stuck in Jam Due to Waterlogging
- EC Notice to Maharashtra BJP, 7 Other Parties for Not Filing Tax Returns
- Govt Defers Mega Spectrum Auction by 2 Days to Oct 1
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED