Retail Inflation Rises to 7.96% in July on Costly Veggies
Retail inflation inched up to 7.96 per cent in July, mainly due to higher prices of food items such as vegetables, fruits and milk.
Retail inflation measured on consumer price index (CPI) in June was 7.46 per cent (revised upwards from 7.31 per cent). It was at 9.64 per cent in the same month a year ago.
Food inflation in July this year rose to 9.36 per cent as against 7.97 per cent in June, according to the government data released today.
Vegetables were costlier in July with a double-digit price rise of 16.88 per cent, a steep rise from 8.73 per cent in June.
Fruit prices went up to 22.48 in July as against 20.64 per cent in June.
The rate of price rise in pulses was 5.85 per cent.
Inflation in milk and milk products stood at 11.26 per cent during the month under review.
Amongst others, food and beverages saw a prices rise of 9.16 per cent and non-alcoholic beverages prices at 6.35 per cent.
Inflation in cereals, however, eased marginally in July to 7.45 per cent as against 7.6 per cent in the previous month.
Other protein rich items such as eggs, fish and meat too witnessed lower inflation in July over the previous month.
Inflation in rural and urban areas in July was 8.45 per cent and 7.42 per cent, respectively. In June, it was 7.87 per cent and 6.82 per cent.
Commenting on the data, Samiran Chakraborty, Head of Research, Standard Chartered Bank (India), said the trend witnessed in prices is not comforting.
FROM OUTLOOKEconomyPre-election moves keep inflation at a below-seven rate, at the cost of industry...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor The RecordGood morning. It is a pleasure to welcome learnedmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESMumbai, Sept 3 (PTI) Prices of castorseeds futuresmore from WIRES>>>
- Assam Flood Situation 'Grave And Challenging': Rajnath
- Karnataka CM's Son Dies of Multi-Organ Failure in Belgium
- Curfew Remains in Force in Some Parts of Kashmir Valley
- Kashmir: Army Foils Infiltration Bid, Two Militants, Two Soldiers Killed
- Save the Children-Supported Syria Maternity Hospital Bombed
- USA: 7.7-Magnitude Quake Off Northern Marianas, No Tsunami Alert
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED