Relative Of Radical Sikh Leader Hurls Shoe At Punjab CM At Election Campaign
A shoe was today hurled at Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal by a relative of a radical Sikh leader during an election campaign at Ratta Khera village here.
40-year-old Gurbachan Singh allegedly hurled the shoe towards Badal, which first hit security personnel and then touched 89-year-old Badal's turban, police said.
"A man identified as Gurbachan Singh, a relative of a Sikh radical leader, hurled shoe at Punjab CM Parkash Singh Badal," Muktsar SSP Dhruman H Nimbale said today.
A security official guarding Badal tried to stop the shoe with his hand. "After hitting the security personnel, the shoe then touched the turban of CM," Nimbale said, adding that there was no injury to Badal in this incident.
The SSP said the incident occurred at village Ratta Khera where Badal was busy in a public meeting during his election campaign.
"CM was just getting up after completing his address when a shoe was hurled by Gurbachan towards CM," he said.
Gurbachan is brother of radical Sikh leader Amrik Singh Ajnala. "He appeared to be upset over the sacrilege incidents which took place in Punjab," the SSP said, adding that he had been nabbed.
A case will be registered against the accused, he said.
A few days back, a group of people threw stones at the cavalcade of deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal at Kandhwala Hazir Khan village in his constituency, Jalalabad in Fazilka district, leaving four Akali supporters injured.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 'Mangalam Appointed Receptionist As Reporter'
- But Nikki Haley, India Had Its First Woman Judge Decades Before Your Parents Emigrated To US
- IMD Doubts Authenticity of High Heat Recorded at Bhira
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Lie Detection Test In Connection With 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots Case
- India, South Korea Agree To Deepen Cooperation Through Joint Ventures, Technology Transfer
- Malaysia Says Kim Jong Nam's Body Released to North Korea
- SC to Begin Hearing on Triple Talaq From May 11
- India Refuses to Categorise Attacks on Africans as Racial
- Every Attack on Indians in US Is Not Hate Crime: Sushma Swaraj
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Maternity Bill Gets President's Nod
- Former Hockey Player Aslam Khan Forms RSS-Like Outfit To Help Congress
- Getting Threats for Criticising BJP, Modi, Alleges Historian Ramachandra Guha
- Chinese Media: India Vigilant Against China, Has Chosen Japan As Partner For Country's First High-Speed Railway