Rekha Turns Up to Attend RS Proceedings Amid Criticism
Yesteryear Bollywood star Rekha today turned up to attend the proceedings of the Rajya Sabha amidst criticism for attending only seven sittings since being nominated two years ago.
Wearing a cream coloured saree, the 'Umraon Jaan' star posed before a battery of photographers with folded hands and said "namaste" as she entered the Parliament House complex.
Rekha, along with cricket icon Sachin, has been under attack in Rajya Sabha for low attendance in the House. She has attended only seven sittings since she was nominated to the House two years back.
Members of the House last week said the celebrities were insulting the House by not attending it.
P Rajeeve (CPI-M), while raising the issue of long- duration absence of Rekha and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar, had wanted to know whether they have sought permission for it.
Responding to this, Deputy Chairman P J Kurien had said Rajeeve and some other members had raised the issue earlier but there was no violation of the Constitutional provisions.
NCP leader D P Tripathi had said, "I like him (Sachin) very much as a cricketer and I really like Rekha as an actress but their conduct as nominated members of Rajya Sabha is despicable to say the least.
"By their behaviour and continued absence, they have insulted Parliament and Indian Constitution. Such people should have never been nominated to this august house. I pity those MPs who get themselves clicked with Rekha and Sachin Tendulkar."
Some other members had also expressed a desire that they felt the cricket icon should contribute more.
Besides Rekha, another Bollywood personality Rakhi Sawant, who has recently joined Ramdas Athawale-led RPI, was in Rajya Sabha visitors' gallery for some time.
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordI want to expresse shock and protest the traffickimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- No Explanation, No Opportunity to Defend Myself, Says Mistry in an Explosive Mail to Board Members
- Modi-Key Talks: NZ Assures 'Constructive' Approach on NSG Bid
- Akhilesh Briefs Governor Ram Naik on Political Situation in UP
- Former Karnataka CM B.S. Yeddyurappa Acquitted of Corruption Charges
- Manipuri Student's Body Found in JNU Hostel Room
- Paul Beatty Becomes the First American to Win Booker Prize
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Police Registers Assault Case Against AAP MLA Amantullah Khan
- PM Asks Officials to Analyze World Bank Report Which Ranked India 130th
- Cabinet May Consider Advancing Budget to Feb 1
- UNESCO Approves Resolution on Jerusalem That Israel Says Denies Judaism's Ties to Temple Mount
- 26/11: India Not Responding to Pak Request to Send Witnesses, Says Prosecution
- Pak Lawmakers Slam Cricketers for Doing Push-Ups After Match Win Instead of Praying
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED