Rekha Turns Up to Attend RS Proceedings Amid Criticism
Yesteryear Bollywood star Rekha today turned up to attend the proceedings of the Rajya Sabha amidst criticism for attending only seven sittings since being nominated two years ago.
Wearing a cream coloured saree, the 'Umraon Jaan' star posed before a battery of photographers with folded hands and said "namaste" as she entered the Parliament House complex.
Rekha, along with cricket icon Sachin, has been under attack in Rajya Sabha for low attendance in the House. She has attended only seven sittings since she was nominated to the House two years back.
Members of the House last week said the celebrities were insulting the House by not attending it.
P Rajeeve (CPI-M), while raising the issue of long- duration absence of Rekha and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar, had wanted to know whether they have sought permission for it.
Responding to this, Deputy Chairman P J Kurien had said Rajeeve and some other members had raised the issue earlier but there was no violation of the Constitutional provisions.
NCP leader D P Tripathi had said, "I like him (Sachin) very much as a cricketer and I really like Rekha as an actress but their conduct as nominated members of Rajya Sabha is despicable to say the least.
"By their behaviour and continued absence, they have insulted Parliament and Indian Constitution. Such people should have never been nominated to this august house. I pity those MPs who get themselves clicked with Rekha and Sachin Tendulkar."
Some other members had also expressed a desire that they felt the cricket icon should contribute more.
Besides Rekha, another Bollywood personality Rakhi Sawant, who has recently joined Ramdas Athawale-led RPI, was in Rajya Sabha visitors' gallery for some time.
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBBook ExtractIt was the last night of the twentieth century andmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- Devas Antrix Deal: India Loses Case, May Have to Pay a Billion Dollars for Pull Out
- Coal Scam: Court Convicts RSPL, Three Officials
- Four Militants Killed, Another Apprehended in Kupwara
- Flipkart Acquires Jabong From Global Fashion Group
- Japan: 19 Killed in Knife Attack at a Care Centre for the Disabled
- Nine Suspected Islamist Militants Killed, One Arrested in Dhaka Raid
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Kargil Vijay Diwas: PM Hails Sacrifices of Indian Soldiers
- Jallikattu Can't Be Justified Just Because It's Old: Supreme Court
- Trade Unions Boycott EPFO Trustees' Meet
- Teenaged Girl Becomes First Victim of Dengue in Delhi in 2016
- Opposition Alleges Use of Coercion, Threats in RS Polls in Jharkhand
- Chinar Corps Becomes First Army Formation to Get 3G Network
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED