Rekha Turns Up to Attend RS Proceedings Amid Criticism
Yesteryear Bollywood star Rekha today turned up to attend the proceedings of the Rajya Sabha amidst criticism for attending only seven sittings since being nominated two years ago.
Wearing a cream coloured saree, the 'Umraon Jaan' star posed before a battery of photographers with folded hands and said "namaste" as she entered the Parliament House complex.
Rekha, along with cricket icon Sachin, has been under attack in Rajya Sabha for low attendance in the House. She has attended only seven sittings since she was nominated to the House two years back.
Members of the House last week said the celebrities were insulting the House by not attending it.
P Rajeeve (CPI-M), while raising the issue of long- duration absence of Rekha and cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar, had wanted to know whether they have sought permission for it.
Responding to this, Deputy Chairman P J Kurien had said Rajeeve and some other members had raised the issue earlier but there was no violation of the Constitutional provisions.
NCP leader D P Tripathi had said, "I like him (Sachin) very much as a cricketer and I really like Rekha as an actress but their conduct as nominated members of Rajya Sabha is despicable to say the least.
"By their behaviour and continued absence, they have insulted Parliament and Indian Constitution. Such people should have never been nominated to this august house. I pity those MPs who get themselves clicked with Rekha and Sachin Tendulkar."
Some other members had also expressed a desire that they felt the cricket icon should contribute more.
Besides Rekha, another Bollywood personality Rakhi Sawant, who has recently joined Ramdas Athawale-led RPI, was in Rajya Sabha visitors' gallery for some time.
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordI want to expresse shock and protest the traffickimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- Open the Dam Shutters, SC Asks Karnataka to Release 6000 Cusecs of Water to TN
- After Indus Water Treaty, India Will Now Review the Most Favoured Nation Status Given to Pak
- Corruption Accused Ex-Corporate Affairs DG Bansal Commits Suicide Along With Son
- Clinton Puts Trump on Defensive in Fiery First Presidential Debate
- USA: Nine Injured in Shooting at Strip Mall in Houston
- Abandon 'Dream' of Obtaining Kashmir: Swaraj to Pakistan
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- US Bans Many Soaps With Harmful Chemicals, Indians Too at Health Risk
- 6-Year-Old Boy Wonder Cooks Kerala's Puttu for US Audience on Ellen Show
- Bound By Chain Great Dane Starved To Death
- Yashvardhan Sinha Appointed India's High Commissioner to UK
- BSF Orders More Non-Lethal Weapons for Use at Bangladesh Border
- Pathankot on High Alert, Search Operation Launched
- Curfew Relaxed for Six Hours in Kishtwar District of J&K
- India Confronts Pak Envoy With Proof of Uri Attack's Cross Border Origins
- Pakistani Actors Should Condemn Uri Attack: Anupam Kher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED