RBI Allows ECB Lenders to Extend Loans in Rupees
Relaxing norms for external borrowings, the RBI today allowed ECB lenders can now extend loans in Indian Rupees to domestic businesses.
"With a view to providing greater flexibility for structuring of external commercial borrowings (ECB) arrangements, it has been decided that recognised non-resident ECB lenders may extend loans in Indian rupees," the RBI said in a notification.
The RBI further said for lending in rupees, the lender would have to follow certain conditions, including currency swaps with authorised banks.
"The ECB contract should comply with all other conditions applicable to the automatic and approval routes as the case may be," it added.
Also, the all-in-cost of such ECBs should be commensurate with prevailing market conditions, it added.
The central bank further said that for executing swaps for ECBs denominated in rupees, the lender could also set up a representative office in India.
Fund raised from overseas in domestic currency will help Indian companies to deal with risks associated with currency fluctuation.
Meanwhile, in another notification on transfer of assets and liabilities of Urban Cooperative Banks to commercial banks, the RBI said "the acquiring bank should not incur any loss arising out of the said merger/ transfer of assets and liabilities".
Also, big depositors holding deposits in excess of Rs 1 lakh each will be required to sacrifice in proportion to the deposit erosion of the target bank.
The 2010 circular in this regard has been amended with a view to ensuring that the process of consolidation is undertaken in a transparent manner without affecting the financial health of the acquiring entities and the banking system as a whole.
- CBSE Announces Class 12 Exam Results, Topper Scores 99.6%
- Curfew In Srinagar Day After Bhat Killed
- Police Reveal Photos Of Manchester Bomber
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10