RBI Allows ECB Lenders to Extend Loans in Rupees
Relaxing norms for external borrowings, the RBI today allowed ECB lenders can now extend loans in Indian Rupees to domestic businesses.
"With a view to providing greater flexibility for structuring of external commercial borrowings (ECB) arrangements, it has been decided that recognised non-resident ECB lenders may extend loans in Indian rupees," the RBI said in a notification.
The RBI further said for lending in rupees, the lender would have to follow certain conditions, including currency swaps with authorised banks.
"The ECB contract should comply with all other conditions applicable to the automatic and approval routes as the case may be," it added.
Also, the all-in-cost of such ECBs should be commensurate with prevailing market conditions, it added.
The central bank further said that for executing swaps for ECBs denominated in rupees, the lender could also set up a representative office in India.
Fund raised from overseas in domestic currency will help Indian companies to deal with risks associated with currency fluctuation.
Meanwhile, in another notification on transfer of assets and liabilities of Urban Cooperative Banks to commercial banks, the RBI said "the acquiring bank should not incur any loss arising out of the said merger/ transfer of assets and liabilities".
Also, big depositors holding deposits in excess of Rs 1 lakh each will be required to sacrifice in proportion to the deposit erosion of the target bank.
The 2010 circular in this regard has been amended with a view to ensuring that the process of consolidation is undertaken in a transparent manner without affecting the financial health of the acquiring entities and the banking system as a whole.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan