Rapti Water Level Touches New High as UP Grapples With Floods
Breaking all records, the water level in the Rapti river in Uttar Pradesh has touched 105.47 metres, which is 0.85 metres above the danger mark, as the Centre issued an "unprecedented flood situation" warning for the state.
The highest level of water recorded previously in the Rapti was in Balrampur district of UP on September 11, 2000, when the river had risen to a height of 105.25m, the Ministry of Water Resources said in a statement here.
The ministry said in another statement that the Bagmati river at Benibad in Muzaffarpur district of Bihar was flowing at 49.51m at 6 P.M. Today, which is 0.83m above the danger mark of 48.68m.
The highest flood level previously recorded in the river was 50.01m on July 12, 2004.
River Ghaghra at Elgin Bridge in Barababki district of UP, meanwhile, continues to flow in high flood situation. At 7 P.M. Today, it was flowing at 107.38m, which is 1.31m above the danger mark of 106.07m.
Its previous recorded highest flood level was 107.55m on October 10, 2009.
The National Crisis Management Committee (NCMC) under the chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth had on Friday taken stock of the government's preparedness in the wake of floods in Nepal.
National Disaster Response Force teams have also been kept ready for rescue operations in Nepal, if required.
The flood situation in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and the recent heavy rainfall and cloudburst in Uttarakhand were also reviewed by NCMC with the state governments.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10