Rape of Badaun Victims Doubtful: CBI
The rape of two teenaged cousins who were found dead in mysterious circumstances in Badaun seems "doubtful", indicates the CBI probe in the infamous killings in May which sparked a nationwide outrage.
After going through the DNA report from the Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD) in Hyderabad, CBI has formed the opinion that the claim that the two girls were raped seems doubtful.
Sources in the CBI said today that the agency may drop the idea of exhuming the bodies now as the report from CDFD has given them enough forensic evidence which could help them crack the case.
They also said that the report confirms contradictions in the theory of rape.
The sources said the five accused-- Pappu, Awadhesh and Urvesh Yadav (brothers) and constables Chhatrapal Yadav and Sarvesh Yadav--will be allowed to get bail as there are no clear evidence against them.
According to the law, an accused can get bail if CBI fails to file a charge sheet against them within 90 days that ends on August 28.
The sources said the report has been sent to the three- member medical board which has been formed here to look into the forensic and medical evidence related to the case.
The board has been asked by the agency to give its opinion this week after which CBI may announce cracking of the case.
Without revealing the findings, CBI sources said the report is a crucial evidence for the investigating team and the case may be cracked anytime now.
The two cousin sisters were found hanging from a tree in Badaun district of Uttar Pradesh in the last week of May, an incident which sparked national outrage with the Samajwadi Party government in the state coming under fire on the issue of law and order situation.
The initial findings of CBI are in sync with the observations of Uttar Pradesh DGP A L Banerjee who had claimed that the rape of one of the victims was not confirmed and property could be one of the motives behind the crime.
He had said that a lot of evidence could have been collected immediately after the incident but the local police had made no extra effort to find it.
The case is heavily dependent on the scientific and forensic evidence after independent medical board could not exhume the bodies of the victims for fresh autopsy following heavy rains which resulted in flooding of their graves.
The panel then asked the agency to provide the belongings of the victims so that some samples can be taken for medical and forensic analysis, the sources said, adding that the board has also visited the crime scene.
The clearing of lie-detection test by the accused has put the needle of suspicion on the family. This suspicion grew strong as family members and an eyewitness failed the test.
The sources said the agency is now looking at the role of a local politician who allegedly influenced the family to put blame of the killing on the five accused-- Pappu, Awadhesh and Urvesh Yadav (brothers) and constables Chhatrapal Yadav and Sarvesh Yadav-- who all belonged to a particular caste.
FROM OUTLOOKCrimeA series of shocking crimes that began the year seal Delhi's reputation as an anti-woman city...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionWhen I first came to Goa 25-plus years ago, one ofmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESA 24-year-old MBA student was kidnapped and allegmore from WIRES>>>
- Congress Derails RS Proceedings Over Private Member Bill on AP
- Supreme Court Allows Abortion of 24-Week Old Foetus
- Two Dead, 17 Wounded at Florida Nightclub Shooting
- SC Notice to Vijay Mallya on Petition of Consortium of Banks
- Sidhu Blasts BJP, Doesn't Say If He Is Joining AAP
- Chinkara Case: Rajasthan High Court Acquits Salman Khan
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Cong Wants Portuguese as Second Language in Goa Schools
- Missing IAF Plane: No Debris or Survivors Found Yet, Says Coast Guard
- Hardline Maoist Group Holds Strike in Nepal
- Bill to Bring Cab Aggregators Like Uber, Ola on Anvil: Govt
- Israeli Woman Rape Case: Police Detain Two for Questioning
- Forest Clearance is Now Granted Within 200 Days: Govt
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED