Rape of Badaun Victims Doubtful: CBI
The rape of two teenaged cousins who were found dead in mysterious circumstances in Badaun seems "doubtful", indicates the CBI probe in the infamous killings in May which sparked a nationwide outrage.
After going through the DNA report from the Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD) in Hyderabad, CBI has formed the opinion that the claim that the two girls were raped seems doubtful.
Sources in the CBI said today that the agency may drop the idea of exhuming the bodies now as the report from CDFD has given them enough forensic evidence which could help them crack the case.
They also said that the report confirms contradictions in the theory of rape.
The sources said the five accused-- Pappu, Awadhesh and Urvesh Yadav (brothers) and constables Chhatrapal Yadav and Sarvesh Yadav--will be allowed to get bail as there are no clear evidence against them.
According to the law, an accused can get bail if CBI fails to file a charge sheet against them within 90 days that ends on August 28.
The sources said the report has been sent to the three- member medical board which has been formed here to look into the forensic and medical evidence related to the case.
The board has been asked by the agency to give its opinion this week after which CBI may announce cracking of the case.
Without revealing the findings, CBI sources said the report is a crucial evidence for the investigating team and the case may be cracked anytime now.
The two cousin sisters were found hanging from a tree in Badaun district of Uttar Pradesh in the last week of May, an incident which sparked national outrage with the Samajwadi Party government in the state coming under fire on the issue of law and order situation.
The initial findings of CBI are in sync with the observations of Uttar Pradesh DGP A L Banerjee who had claimed that the rape of one of the victims was not confirmed and property could be one of the motives behind the crime.
He had said that a lot of evidence could have been collected immediately after the incident but the local police had made no extra effort to find it.
The case is heavily dependent on the scientific and forensic evidence after independent medical board could not exhume the bodies of the victims for fresh autopsy following heavy rains which resulted in flooding of their graves.
The panel then asked the agency to provide the belongings of the victims so that some samples can be taken for medical and forensic analysis, the sources said, adding that the board has also visited the crime scene.
The clearing of lie-detection test by the accused has put the needle of suspicion on the family. This suspicion grew strong as family members and an eyewitness failed the test.
The sources said the agency is now looking at the role of a local politician who allegedly influenced the family to put blame of the killing on the five accused-- Pappu, Awadhesh and Urvesh Yadav (brothers) and constables Chhatrapal Yadav and Sarvesh Yadav-- who all belonged to a particular caste.
- Former Punjab DGP K.P.S. Gill Dies At 82
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10