Rajapaksa Inducts Two Indian Origin Tamil MPs as Deputy Ministers
Two Indian-origin Tamil lawmakers were today inducted as Deputy Ministers in Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa's cabinet, a month ahead of polls in a province where a large number of ethnic Tamils live.
Praba Ganeshan and P Digambaram were sworn in as Deputy Ministers by President Rajapaksa at his official residence Temple Trees here.
The appointments assumes significance as it came just days ahead of the Provincial Council Elections in Uva province on September 20, where a considerable number of ethnic Tamils are based.
Praba Ganeshan of Democratic Peoples' Congress was sworn in as Deputy Minister in Telecommunications and Information Technology while P Digambaram of National Workers Union, a plantation sector trade union, has been sworn in as Deputy Minister in National Languages and Social Integration.
Both MPs were elected to the parliament for the first time in 2010 under the main opposition, United National Party, but later crossed over to the government pledging support to the President Rajapaksa.
The latest additions brings up the number of Deputy Ministers in Sri Lanka to 42. Sri Lankan cabinet has 67 members.
The polls in the Uva province in September is expected to serve as a crucial barometer to both the government and the opposition who are keen to test the political waters before the general and presidential elections, The Nation reported.
The two national elections are due only in 2016. However, there have been indications that the ruling United Peoples' Freedom Alliance (UPFA) is keen to press home the advantage of being the front-runner and stage the two elections ahead of schedule, next year, the paper reported recently.
FROM OUTLOOKForeign AffairsIndia has to take stock of its diminishing role in institutions like NAM and the UN...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionWhen Chinese President Xi Jinping stopped over atmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Feb 16 Britain today suggested that Indmore from WIRES>>>
- Seven Pak Rangers Killed, One Terrorist Shot Down in Retaliatory Firing at IB in Kathua: BSF
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- SC Tightens Noose Around BCCI, Chokes Funds to State Units
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- No Need for Comments After Varun's Clarification: BJP
- USA: Twitter, Spotify Disrupted as Internet Provider Reports Attack
- Sheena Bora Case: CBI Files Second Supplementary Charge Sheet
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'