Rajapaksa Expresses Regret Over Objectionable Article on Jaya
Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa today expressed regret over an objectionable article on Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa posted on the Defence Ministry website that triggered a furore in India.
"I regret that it has happened. I have called for a report on it," Rajapaksa told reporters here.
The article titled 'How meaningful are Jayalalitha's love letters to Narendra Modi?' had appeared on the Lankan Defence Ministry's website along with a graphical portrayal of Prime Minister Modi and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.
The defence ministry later removed the article from its website and offered an unqualified apology to India.
"We extend an unqualified apology to the Hon Prime Minister of India and Hon Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu," it said in a statement posted on its website.
Maj Gen Kapila Hendavitharana speaking on behalf of the defence ministry said the article had been posted on the Defence Ministry website without permission.
Hours after the article was published, it created a furore in India, with BJP allies PMK and MDMK seeking severing of diplomatic relations with the island nation.
Jayalalithtaa had urged Prime Minister Modi to seek unconditional apology from Lankan government over the article.
India's External Affairs Ministry yesterday summoned Lankan High Commissioner Sudharshan Seneviratne in New Delhi and lodged a protest against the article.
Seneviratne was conveyed the "anger and concerns" among parliamentarians on the issue in the strongest possible words by the Joint Secretary in-charge of Sri Lanka division in MEA.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Yeddyurappa Will Be BJP's CM Face In Karnataka: Shah
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10