Rahul, Priyanka Give Away Motor-Vehicles to the Disabled
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi and his sister Priyanka Vadra today handed over the keys of especially designed motorised vehicles to 52 physically challenged people here under the 'Access to Opportunities' programme of Rajiv Gandhi Foundation.
This programme is conducted every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
Rahul and Priyanka, who are the Trustee and Executive Trustee of the foundation interacted with the awardees while handing over the vehicle keys.
The participants asked to click pictures with the Gandhi siblings and some of them also clicked selfies. The Congress vice president also advised the awardees to "drive slow".
Some awardees also brought souvenirs from their native places which was warmly received by the trustees.
This year the Foundation will be distributing 150 vehicles across different parts of the country.
For the Delhi distribution ceremony, 52 selected recipients from Haryana, Chandigarh, Punjab, Delhi NCR, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal were given the vehicles at Jawahar Bhawan here.
"Through a rigorous selection process, the focus was to identify those individuals whose physical disability was limiting their access to opportunities and hampering the realisation of their potential.
"Education being the main focus of the Foundation, preferences were given to student applicants to help them access more opportunities in education and livelihood," said a release issued by the Foundation.
The program began with an inspirational song sung by children from 'Wonderoom', one of the initiatives of the Foundation.
Later, two of the youth awardees from the previous year, shared their experiences of how they benefited by the vehicle specially designed for them. They also highlighted the idea of self dependence and freedom in mobility.
After the award ceremony, the awardees were provided training by professionals on the usage of the vehicle, safety rules and regulations.
- Mumbai Is The Richest Indian City With Total Wealth Of USD 820 Billion
- Paytm Offers To Hire Employees Sacked By Rival Companies
- Kim Killing Suspect Thought She Was In A 'Comedy Video'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- DU Professor Injured in Violence Hospitalised
- Fire Breaks Out At The Times Of India Building In New Delhi
- Kerala CM Retracts His Remark Denying Conspiracy in Assault on Actress
- Trump to Skip White House Correspondents' Dinner Amidst Tiff With Media
- Pakistan Rangers Kill 4, Detain Over 600 Terror Suspects In 200 Search Operations
- Maharashtra: Nearly 350 Students In Custody,18 Others Arrested After Army Recruitment Board Papers Leaked
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events