Pvt Bar Room Marriages Can't Amount to Solemnisation: HC
The Madras High Court today came down heavily on lawyers donning the role of priests for effecting registration of marriages, saying such acts "performed in secrecy" in their offices and Bar Association rooms cannot amount to solemnisation.
Observing that it has got a duty to protect women, the Court said there is no scope for the presence of the "Lawyer-cum-Priest" to give effect to registration of a marriage.
A Division Bench comprising Justice S Rajeswaran and Justice P N Prakash in its order said, "We hold that the certificate of solemnisation issued by advocates will not be proof of solemnisation of marriage in a matrimonial dispute."
The bench made it clear that "no registration of marriage can be done under the Tamil Nadu Registration of Marriages Act 2009 without the physical presence of the parties to the marriage before the Registrar, except under special circumstances after recording reasons."
The bench while making it clear that neither the act nor the rules insist upon the presence of the priest during the Registration of Marriages said, "There is no question of law or legal question involved in such an enquiry for the advocate to be present and give clarification to the Registrar of Marriages. We find there is no scope for the presence of the Lawyer-cum-Priest for effecting registration of a marriage."
The bench was deciding on two Habeas Corpus Petitions before it in which it became suspicious with regard to the marriage certificates produced and the alleged marriages performed by advocates in their office premises.
The bench said it was shocked after it found from reports submitted that most marriages were solemnised in the offices of advocates and in bar associations.
"The marriages performed in secrecy in the chambers of Advocates and Bar Association Rooms, will not amount to solemnisation and only women who are victims of such marriage can question the same in matrimonial proceedings before the appropriate court as a question of fact."
The bench lauded the responsibility of lawyers who encourage inter-caste and inter-religious marriages for bringing social harmony and breaking the rigours of the caste system.
"To that extent the lawyer has to play a very pro-active rule as a person in public service but on the contrary it is unfortunate for the legal community to look upon such youngsters as potential clients and adorn the role of a priest and issue a marriage certificate, as if the marriage was solemnised in the lawyer’s office or in the Bar Association room."
"If the prestige of legal profession falls, it does not fall alone, it takes with it the entire court system to the crematorium and on the funeral pyre, there will be dance of anarchy," the bench said.
"A priest-cum-lawyer will also be liable for disciplinary action before the Bar Council, on the complaint of the aggrieved," it added.
- Dhinakaran Case: Delhi Police Quiz Men On Cash Trail Trajectory
- 30 Farmers Committed Suicide in 2016-17: TN Govt
- Male Chauvinism Can't Be: SC
- Global Press Freedom At 13-Year Low: Survey
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Buyers Denied Flat in Mumbai for Being Non-Vegetarian, Alleges MNS
- Hindu Temple Vandalised In Pakistan, Says Report
- Key Suspect Of Jayalalithaa's Driver Murder Case Killed
- Don't Politicise Triple Talaq, Urges Prime Minister Modi
- Google CEO Sundar Pichai Received Nearly Rs 1285 Crore As Salary Last Year
- Amid Protests Over Temple 'Desecration', JK Govt Says Property 'Intact'
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Groom Refuses To Marry After Seeing Only Vegetarian Dishes Being Served At Wedding
- 'Keep Phones On Recording Mode', 'Don't Fall Into BJP's Trap': Kejriwal Tells AAP Councillors
- Ready to Talk to Political Parties in Kashmir To Resolve Crisis But Not With Separatists: Govt Tells SC
- Out On Bail In Malegaon Blast Case, Sadhvi Pragya Says She's a Victim of Chidambaram's 'Saffron Terrorism' Bogey
- Prepare for 'Movement' If Exit Poll Results Come True, Says Kejriwal
- Sukhma Naxal Ambush Is An Act Of Cowardice, Says HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar
- Naxals Using Tribals As Human Shield, Govt to Review Anti-Naxal Strategy: Rajnath Singh
- 'Hafiz Saeed Not A Terrorist,' Pervez Musharraf Denies His Involvement in Mumbai Attacks