Pune Landslide: Toll Rises to 70, Rescue Efforts Continue
As hopes of finding more survivors are receding, rescuers dug out 29 more bodies since last night as the toll in the Malin landslide disaster rose to 70 late Friday evening.
Over 100 people were still feared trapped under the debris of the landslide that flattened 44 houses in the village located in a hilly terrain in Ambegaon taluka on Wednesday.
NDRF personnel, whose relentless rescue efforts entered the third day today, wore masks to keep out stench of the decomposed bodies.
The dead victims whose bodies have been extricated so far include 28 males, 32 females and 10 children, the district control room set up to monitor the situation said.
Mass cremations were being performed by relatives who reached the village.
Maharashtra government has announced assistance of Rs five lakh each to families of the victims.
The state relief and rehabilitation minister Patangrao Kadam told reporters that the rescue operation was expected to continue for another two days.
A lull in the rains this morning enabled NDRF jawans to clear the mud faster using JCBs and dumpers, he added.
Meanwhile, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan today announced a financial aid of Rs five lakh to the next of kin of each of the victims.
Officials in the Chief Minister's office said the assistance would be provided from the CM Relief fund.
Free medical treatment will be given to the injured and proper rehabilitation of the village will be done on priority, they said.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had yesterday visited Malin village, the scene of the tragedy over 100 kms from here, and announced an assistance of Rs two lakh to the next of kin of each of the deceased from the PM Relief Fund.
Mass cremation of several victims was conducted at the site by grieving relatives yesterday.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBMumbai MusingsBefore one could celebrate the strong and satisfacmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- SC Cancels RJD Leader Shahabuddin's Bail, Sends Him Back to Jail
- Surgical Strikes by India in PoK an Act of Self Defence: Afghanistan
- Bihar Liquor Prohibition Law Illegal, Rules Patna High Court
- All Attempts to Secure Release of Indian Soldier: Rajnath
- Park Street Gangrape: Prime Accused Kader Khan Arrested
- Train Crashes Into New Jersey Station, One Dead, 114 Injured
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Pakistan Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Cancels Visit to India Due to Tension
- 'World Moves Towards Enforcing Paris Pact With India's Action'
- Rajnath Singh Reviews Security Situation Along Indo-Pak Border
- Presidential Debate Was Rigged: Trump
- Narendra Modi's Surgical Strike Wins Over Rahul Gandhi
- Nawaz Sharif Calls Special Cabinet Meeting Post Surgical Strikes
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED