Pune Landslide: Infant's Cries Guide NDRF Personnel to Rescue
Amidst the chaos of the disastrous landslide which wiped out Malin village off the map, a three-month-old Rudra asserted his right to life, by crying and beckoning rescuers, for more than eight hours, while clutching his mother fainting under the suffocating debris.
Eventually, it was Rudra's full throated crying which alerted National Disaster Relief Force (NDRF) personnel to locate him from the gloomy recesses of a mound formed by the cascading debris.
Recuperating at a hospital at nearby Manchar, Rudra's mother Pramila Limbe said that both of them were trapped under the heap of mud as the hillock came crashing down yesterday morning when she was nursing her child.
"I held on to an iron shelf in the house used to keep utensils along with Rudra and kept on shouting for help which went unheeded. However, Rudra kept on crying loudly until rescuers managed to locate us," said Pramila, lying on a hospital bed with Rudra snuggling by her side looking surprisingly hale and hearty.
An NDRF official said that mother and child remained trapped from 8 am to 4.30 pm yesterday until Rudra's crying kept beckoning them to the right spot where the debris had developed a little crack, just enough to let air filter through the landslide debris.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBMumbai MusingsBefore one could celebrate the strong and satisfacmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- Agli Baar, Medal Beshumaar: PM Announces Task Force to Prepare India for Olympics
- France Top Court Suspends Burkini Ban
- Pak Regrets India's Rejection of 'Discuss Kashmir' Proposal
- Scorpene Data Leak Not a Big Worry: Parrikar
- Can't Order Establishment of 'Ram Rajya' in the Country: SC
- Haji Ali Dargah Should Allow Women, Says Bombay HC
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Whistleblower to Handover Scorpene Data Disk to Aus Govt: Newspaper
- Kanhaiya, Two Others Granted Regular Bail in Sedition Case
- Odisha Govt Admits Lapses, Man Says No Heed Paid by Hospital
- Are Decisions Taken by Cabinet Being Implemented, PM Seeks to Know
- AAP Removes Chhotepur as Punjab Convenor
- Cong Raking Up Needless Controversies for Political Gains: Naidu
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED