Proposed Juvenile Bill Against UN Norms: NHRC
The proposed Juvenile Justice Bill violates the core principle of juvenile justice provided under UN Convention on Child Rights (UNCCR), the NHRC said today.
The observation came up at a day-long workshop organised by the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) here to discuss the views of civil society organizations on the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill.
Participants at the workshop also brought out inherent contradictions and inadequacies of certain provisions in the Bill, a statement issued by NHRC said.
"It was strongly felt by the participating NGOs that the proposed Bill not only violated the core principle of juvenile justice under the UNCRC but also the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), both of which have been ratified by the Government of India," the statement said.
The Commission will thoroughly examine the suggestions that emerged at the Workshop and take a decision regarding the views to be conveyed to the Government, it said.
Inaugurating the Workshop, NHRC member S C Sinha emphasised that the proposed Bill should be in conformity with the international norms, especially in consonance with the UN Convention on Child Rights and related guidelines.
Officials of Ministries/Departments of Women & Child Development, NHRC, legal experts, representatives of national and state commissions, technical institutions, NGOs and civil society organisations attended the workshop.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Government To Launch 'Twitter Seva' To Address Public Grievances
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman