Proposed Juvenile Bill Against UN Norms: NHRC
The proposed Juvenile Justice Bill violates the core principle of juvenile justice provided under UN Convention on Child Rights (UNCCR), the NHRC said today.
The observation came up at a day-long workshop organised by the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) here to discuss the views of civil society organizations on the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill.
Participants at the workshop also brought out inherent contradictions and inadequacies of certain provisions in the Bill, a statement issued by NHRC said.
"It was strongly felt by the participating NGOs that the proposed Bill not only violated the core principle of juvenile justice under the UNCRC but also the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), both of which have been ratified by the Government of India," the statement said.
The Commission will thoroughly examine the suggestions that emerged at the Workshop and take a decision regarding the views to be conveyed to the Government, it said.
Inaugurating the Workshop, NHRC member S C Sinha emphasised that the proposed Bill should be in conformity with the international norms, especially in consonance with the UN Convention on Child Rights and related guidelines.
Officials of Ministries/Departments of Women & Child Development, NHRC, legal experts, representatives of national and state commissions, technical institutions, NGOs and civil society organisations attended the workshop.
- Major Who Tied Civilian To Army Jeep, Awarded
- Indian Cabbie Abused And Assaulted In Australia
- Rawal Wants Arundhati Roy Tied To Army Jeep Instead Of Stone-Pelters
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10