Prez Praises Govt for Steps to Bring In More FDI
President Pranab Mukherjee today praised the NDA government at the centre for taking steps to bring in more FDI into the country.
"A sustained average growth rate between eight to nine per cent is required to address the issue of poverty alleviation in the country," Mukherjee said at the AGM of Indian Chamber of Commerce here.
He said that to meet that target, the gap between domestic savings and domestic investment would have to be bridged.
"To meet the investment requirements, the role of investment surplus countries come into play.
"I am glad that the government is fully aware of this and has taken appropriate steps in that regard", Mukherjee said.
The president, who described himself as an important player in the policy making process two years ago, said his constitutional obligations now prevented him from making statements.
"Now others speak, I listen", he said.
He also stressed on the need for improvement in both physical and social infrastructure, as well as development of skills of the youth for taking advantage of the demographic dividend.
On GST, he said that the states would have to come on board and develop an appropriate mechanism for its implementation.
- Stone-Pelters Should Fire Weapons, Then I Could Do What I Want: Rawat
- Impose Governor's Rule If J&K Is To Be Saved: Farooq Abdullah
- Narada Journalists Threaten Hunger Strike Over Dues
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 14 Men Molest 2 Women, Posts Video On The Social Media
- Defending The Use of 'Human Shield', General Bipin Rawat Says 'Dirty War' In Kashmir Has To Be Fought With 'Innovative Ways'
- After Rahul, Now Akhilesh Denied Entry to Violence-Hit Saharanpur
- Three Booked For Abducting, Raping Minor Girl In Rajasthan
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10