Prez Praises Govt for Steps to Bring In More FDI
President Pranab Mukherjee today praised the NDA government at the centre for taking steps to bring in more FDI into the country.
"A sustained average growth rate between eight to nine per cent is required to address the issue of poverty alleviation in the country," Mukherjee said at the AGM of Indian Chamber of Commerce here.
He said that to meet that target, the gap between domestic savings and domestic investment would have to be bridged.
"To meet the investment requirements, the role of investment surplus countries come into play.
"I am glad that the government is fully aware of this and has taken appropriate steps in that regard", Mukherjee said.
The president, who described himself as an important player in the policy making process two years ago, said his constitutional obligations now prevented him from making statements.
"Now others speak, I listen", he said.
He also stressed on the need for improvement in both physical and social infrastructure, as well as development of skills of the youth for taking advantage of the demographic dividend.
On GST, he said that the states would have to come on board and develop an appropriate mechanism for its implementation.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Government To Launch 'Twitter Seva' To Address Public Grievances
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman