Prez Praises Govt for Steps to Bring In More FDI
President Pranab Mukherjee today praised the NDA government at the centre for taking steps to bring in more FDI into the country.
"A sustained average growth rate between eight to nine per cent is required to address the issue of poverty alleviation in the country," Mukherjee said at the AGM of Indian Chamber of Commerce here.
He said that to meet that target, the gap between domestic savings and domestic investment would have to be bridged.
"To meet the investment requirements, the role of investment surplus countries come into play.
"I am glad that the government is fully aware of this and has taken appropriate steps in that regard", Mukherjee said.
The president, who described himself as an important player in the policy making process two years ago, said his constitutional obligations now prevented him from making statements.
"Now others speak, I listen", he said.
He also stressed on the need for improvement in both physical and social infrastructure, as well as development of skills of the youth for taking advantage of the demographic dividend.
On GST, he said that the states would have to come on board and develop an appropriate mechanism for its implementation.
FROM OUTLOOKcover storyThe clouds over Vajpayee's fate may have blown over but hitherto friendly voices—from within the BJP and the...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThere is quite an understandable outrage at the gomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 30 (PTI) Congress today said the Nmore from WIRES>>>
- No Explanation, No Opportunity to Defend Myself, Says Mistry in an Explosive Mail to Board Members
- Modi-Key Talks: NZ Assures 'Constructive' Approach on NSG Bid
- Akhilesh Briefs Governor Ram Naik on Political Situation in UP
- Former Karnataka CM B.S. Yeddyurappa Acquitted of Corruption Charges
- Manipuri Student's Body Found in JNU Hostel Room
- Paul Beatty Becomes the First American to Win Booker Prize
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Police Registers Assault Case Against AAP MLA Amantullah Khan
- PM Asks Officials to Analyze World Bank Report Which Ranked India 130th
- Cabinet May Consider Advancing Budget to Feb 1
- UNESCO Approves Resolution on Jerusalem That Israel Says Denies Judaism's Ties to Temple Mount
- 26/11: India Not Responding to Pak Request to Send Witnesses, Says Prosecution
- Pak Lawmakers Slam Cricketers for Doing Push-Ups After Match Win Instead of Praying
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED