Police Seek Video of Arundhati Roy's 'Controversial' Speech
Police have sought the video of writer and activist Arundhati Roy's 'controversial' speech at Kerala University last month following a complaint.
City Police Commissioner H Venkatesh has asked the university authorities to provide the clipping to examine whether it had any defamatory content to initiate action against her as alleged in the complaint.
"The inquiry has been started on the basis of a complaint given to the DGP by one George from Pala (in Kottayam). As part of the probe, we have asked the university to provide the video footages of the function," Venkatesh told PTI.
She made the remarks while delivering a lecture in honour of Kerala's 19th century Dalit liberation leader Ayyankali, organised by the Ayyankali Chair of the Department of History of the university.
The Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee had earlier this week adopted a resolution condemning Roy's alleged remarks against Mahatma Gandhi.
Activist and writer K K Kochu said this was not for the first time that Gandhi had been criticised and taking action for voicing one's views is condemnable.
However, Congress(S) leader and former state minister Ramachandran Kadannapally, who also sought action against Roy, said there was nothing wrong in police move.
Ebi Jose, president of Pala-based Mahatma Gandhi Foundation, said in fact police should have initiated suo motu proceedings agaist Roy without waiting for complaint.
- SC Allows Marine Latorre to Stay Back in Italy
- Don't Behave Like Lords, 'Fall in Line': SC Tells BCCI
- Day After Stoning of Saamna Office in Maharashtra, Cartoonist Expresses Regret
- Former Israeli President Shimon Peres Dies at 93
- Pak Approaches World Bank Amid Reports of India Revoking Indus Water Treaty
- Most SAARC Members Join India, Pull Out of Summit in Pakistan
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Watch: A Poacher's Court Tries To Save Elephants And Rhinos In Africa
- MH17 Probe 'Biased', Moscow 'Disappointed': Foreign Ministry
- NIA Gets Custody of PoK Duo Who Facilitated Uri Attack
- Sahara Group Has Taken Us for a Ride: SC
- Pakistani Singer Shafqat Amanat Ali's Concert in Bengaluru Cancelled
- Idols of Durga Vandalised in Bangladesh
- Kashmiri Student Booked For Sedition Over 'Anti-National' Post
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED