Police Seek Video of Arundhati Roy's 'Controversial' Speech
Police have sought the video of writer and activist Arundhati Roy's 'controversial' speech at Kerala University last month following a complaint.
City Police Commissioner H Venkatesh has asked the university authorities to provide the clipping to examine whether it had any defamatory content to initiate action against her as alleged in the complaint.
"The inquiry has been started on the basis of a complaint given to the DGP by one George from Pala (in Kottayam). As part of the probe, we have asked the university to provide the video footages of the function," Venkatesh told PTI.
She made the remarks while delivering a lecture in honour of Kerala's 19th century Dalit liberation leader Ayyankali, organised by the Ayyankali Chair of the Department of History of the university.
The Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee had earlier this week adopted a resolution condemning Roy's alleged remarks against Mahatma Gandhi.
Activist and writer K K Kochu said this was not for the first time that Gandhi had been criticised and taking action for voicing one's views is condemnable.
However, Congress(S) leader and former state minister Ramachandran Kadannapally, who also sought action against Roy, said there was nothing wrong in police move.
Ebi Jose, president of Pala-based Mahatma Gandhi Foundation, said in fact police should have initiated suo motu proceedings agaist Roy without waiting for complaint.
- Centre Applauds Army's Attack On Pakistan Posts
- ISIS Claims Responsibility For Manchester Blast That Killed 22
- James Bond Actor Roger Moore Dies At 89
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10