Police Seek Video of Arundhati Roy's 'Controversial' Speech
Police have sought the video of writer and activist Arundhati Roy's 'controversial' speech at Kerala University last month following a complaint.
City Police Commissioner H Venkatesh has asked the university authorities to provide the clipping to examine whether it had any defamatory content to initiate action against her as alleged in the complaint.
"The inquiry has been started on the basis of a complaint given to the DGP by one George from Pala (in Kottayam). As part of the probe, we have asked the university to provide the video footages of the function," Venkatesh told PTI.
She made the remarks while delivering a lecture in honour of Kerala's 19th century Dalit liberation leader Ayyankali, organised by the Ayyankali Chair of the Department of History of the university.
The Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee had earlier this week adopted a resolution condemning Roy's alleged remarks against Mahatma Gandhi.
Activist and writer K K Kochu said this was not for the first time that Gandhi had been criticised and taking action for voicing one's views is condemnable.
However, Congress(S) leader and former state minister Ramachandran Kadannapally, who also sought action against Roy, said there was nothing wrong in police move.
Ebi Jose, president of Pala-based Mahatma Gandhi Foundation, said in fact police should have initiated suo motu proceedings agaist Roy without waiting for complaint.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rahul Gandhi Says He Has Information Of PM Modi's Personal Corruption
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Demonetisation Advisers Need Elementary Course In Economics Says Chidambaram
- 52 Killed, Over 100 Injured in Sufi Shrine Blast in Pak's Balochistan