Police: 2 Slain, 5 Hurt in New Orleans Shooting
A shooting in a New Orleans neighborhood that has struggled with crime since being ravaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005 left two people dead and five others wounded, including a 2-year-old and a 4-year-old, police said.
The children and another victim from the Lower Ninth Ward neighborhood were in critical condition after yesterday's shooting, and two other people were stable, police spokesman Frank Robertson said.
He didn't immediately release any other information, including a possible motive for the shooting.
The Lower Ninth, a predominantly black neighborhood less than 8 kilometers from the bustling tourist district of the French Quarter, was overwhelmed by Hurricane Katrina's floods in 2005. It has been one of the slowest parts of the city to recover because many homeowners couldn't afford insurance.
In a separate, unrelated spate of violence, a 20-year-old man shot a friend last morning inside a hotel room at the edge of the Quarter, then killed himself after a three-hour standoff with police, authorities said.
Those shootings happened in a 17th-floor room at The Westin on Canal Street, where four friends from the Lafayette area were staying together for the weekend, Robertson said in a news release.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- Yeddyurappa Will Be BJP's CM Face In Karnataka: Shah
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10