PMO Calls Meeting on India-Sri Lanka Fishermen Issue
The Prime Minister's Office (PMO) has convened a meeting tomorrow to explore a long-term solution to the contentious fishermen issue between India and Sri Lanka.
"The PMO has called a meeting tomorrow to deliberate on India-Sri Lanka fishermen's issues like illegal poaching and welfare of Indian fishermen among others," a senior government official told PTI.
The meeting will be chaired by the Prime Minister's Principal Secretary Nripendra Misra and attended by senior officials from Agriculture, Home and External Affairs Ministries.
The fishermen issue is a very emotive one for both the countries. While Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has been repeatedly pressing the Centre to take it up with the Lankan leadership, there was tremendous pressure on Sri Lankan government to initiate judicial process against the apprehended Indian fishermen, resulting in their prolonged detention.
Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa had announced release of all Indian fishermen ahead of his visit to New Delhi to attend Prime Minister Narendra Modi's swearing-in ceremony on May 26.
With the release of 94 Indian fishermen on August 16, there are no fisherman from the country in Sri Lankan jail currently.
Lanka has released 225 Indian fishermen since the Modi government took over.
India has been maintaining that it is a humanitarian issue and has always recommended talks between fishermen's associations from both the sides.
- Congress Bastion Amethi Goes To Polls
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Want To Make Universities Laboratories For Separatist Experiments?' Naidu Asks Congress, Left
- Madras High Court Exempts Class Xth Non-Tamil Students From Writing Examination In Tamil
- Banned SIMI Chief And 10 Others Given Life Imprisonment In Sedition Case
- Airtel Removes Roaming Charges on Calls, Data
- Now, BJP MP Pratap Simha Compares Kargil Martyr's Daughter With Dawood Ibrahim
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events