PM to Dedicate Raichur-Solapur Transmission Line on I-Day
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will tomorrow dedicate to the nation the Raichur-Solapur transmission line in Maharashtra, which will augment inter-regional capacity through synchronisation with the southern grid.
"The commissioning of one 765kV (kilovolt) Raichur-Solapur transmission line by Power Grid Corporation and synchronous interconnection of Southern Regional grid with the rest of the grid was achieved in December 2013," an official statement said.
The second 765kV Raichur–Solapur transmission line implemented through private sector participation has been completed on June 30, 2014, with guidance from Power Grid, the statement said.
The transmission line connects Raichur in Karnataka with Solapur in Maharashtra.
With both the transmission lines now in operation, the interconnection has helped in achieving a pan-India synchronous grid of 2,49,000 MW, one of the largest synchronous operating grids in the world, it added.
This transmission link will help in establishing reliable and resourceful infrastructure for import of power from the regional grids of northern, eastern, western and north-eastern parts to southern region during the time of peak demand, it said adding the line will also facilitate export of surplus power from southern region during off-peak demand.
"Augmentation of inter-regional capacity of southern region with rest of the grid will help in overcoming the constraints being faced in meeting the region’s maximum demand during summer season with the existing inter-regional links of southern region with western and eastern regions," the statement added.
It will provide access to bigger market for the existing and envisaged renewable generation capacity addition in resource rich southern region.
Synchronous operation of the southern region with rest of the country will give a boost to economic growth, it further added.
Earlier this week, Modi laid the foundation stone of Leh-Kargil-Srinagar transmission system in Jammu & Kashmir being executed by Power Grid Corporation.
FROM OUTLOOKmanmohan singhAn embattled Manmohan Singh fails to give a convincing defence of his government’s actions ...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThis month, Narendra Modi completes his first twomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESPrime Minister Manmohan Singh will undergo a heartmore from WIRES>>>
- Seven Pak Rangers Killed, One Terrorist Shot Down in Retaliatory Firing at IB in Kathua: BSF
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- SC Tightens Noose Around BCCI, Chokes Funds to State Units
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- No Need for Comments After Varun's Clarification: BJP
- USA: Twitter, Spotify Disrupted as Internet Provider Reports Attack
- Sheena Bora Case: CBI Files Second Supplementary Charge Sheet
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'