PM, Maharashtra Governor Condole Demise of Fazal
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today expressed grief at the death of Former Maharashtra Governor Mohhammed Fazal, in addition to the incumbent Governor of the state C Vidyasagar Rao and offered condolences to Fazal's family.
Fazal, who was Maharashtra governor between 2002 and 2004, passed away at Allahabad this morning. He was 92.
In a letter addressed to Fazal's son, Rao said, "Fazal was 'one of the most illustrious Governors of Maharashtra'. Even though, he served as Governor of Maharashtra for just about two years between 2002 and 2004, he did immense good work in as diverse areas as development of backward areas of Maharashtra, advancement of higher education and welfare of people, especially the poor."
"He visited extensively in all parts of Maharashtra and directed the State Government to take urgent measures to tackle drought effectively. As Governor, he took keen interest in promoting the population control programme in the State. He also took various measures for the welfare of the staff of Raj Bhavan."
"In his demise, Maharashtra has lost a good former Governor and a great humanist."
The Prime Minister's office also released a press statement saying, "The Prime Minister has condoled the passing away of former Goa and Maharashtra Governor Mohammed Fazal. The Prime Minister recalled Fazal's contribution to public life and prays that his soul rests in peace."
FROM OUTLOOKmanmohan singhAn embattled Manmohan Singh fails to give a convincing defence of his government’s actions ...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThis month, Narendra Modi completes his first twomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESPrime Minister Manmohan Singh will undergo a heartmore from WIRES>>>
- Sidhu Likely to Join AAP in August
- NADA Concludes Hearing, Decision on Narsingh's Fate Deferred
- FM Hits Back at Rahul, Says NDA Has Brought Down Inflation
- Eminent Writer Mahasweta Devi Dies at 90
- Rajnath to Raise Pak-Sponsored Terror, No Bilateral With Pak Counterpart
- Obama Passes Baton to Clinton, Says No One More Qualified
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Modi Follows Person Who Hurled Abuses at Delhi CM, Claims AAP
- Bus Rams Into Tree in Solapur District, Four Dead
- Fed Up With Harassment, College Girl Ends Life in Malegaon
- Indian-American Girl Becomes Youngest Delegate at DNC
- 14-Year-Old Boy Wins International Maths Competition
- Autorickshaw, Taxi Unions Call Off Strike in Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED