PM, Maharashtra Governor Condole Demise of Fazal
Prime Minister Narendra Modi today expressed grief at the death of Former Maharashtra Governor Mohhammed Fazal, in addition to the incumbent Governor of the state C Vidyasagar Rao and offered condolences to Fazal's family.
Fazal, who was Maharashtra governor between 2002 and 2004, passed away at Allahabad this morning. He was 92.
In a letter addressed to Fazal's son, Rao said, "Fazal was 'one of the most illustrious Governors of Maharashtra'. Even though, he served as Governor of Maharashtra for just about two years between 2002 and 2004, he did immense good work in as diverse areas as development of backward areas of Maharashtra, advancement of higher education and welfare of people, especially the poor."
"He visited extensively in all parts of Maharashtra and directed the State Government to take urgent measures to tackle drought effectively. As Governor, he took keen interest in promoting the population control programme in the State. He also took various measures for the welfare of the staff of Raj Bhavan."
"In his demise, Maharashtra has lost a good former Governor and a great humanist."
The Prime Minister's office also released a press statement saying, "The Prime Minister has condoled the passing away of former Goa and Maharashtra Governor Mohammed Fazal. The Prime Minister recalled Fazal's contribution to public life and prays that his soul rests in peace."
FROM OUTLOOKmanmohan singhAn embattled Manmohan Singh fails to give a convincing defence of his government’s actions ...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionThis month, Narendra Modi completes his first twomore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESPrime Minister Manmohan Singh will undergo a heartmore from WIRES>>>
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'