Plight of Midday Workers Raised in RS
The plight of workers serving midday meal in schools was raised in Rajya Sabha today with a member demanding enhanced wages to them as they were currently paid a paltry sum as monthly honorarium.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Tapan Kumar Sen (CPM) said about 10,000 midday workers were holding demonstrations in support of their demands.
"Twenty-four lakh such workers were engaged in providing nutritious meals to 12 crore children. Their role in primary and secondary education is important but they are doing the work for a pittance. They get Rs 1,000 for a month and get to work 10 months out of 12 in a year," Sen said.
He said despite working for 30-35 years, there was no social security for them.
He said they belonged to the poorest of the poor section and the government should increase their renumeration by at least Rs 1,000.
A large number of members associated with the demand.
In another Zero Hour submission, Srinjoy Bose (Trinamool) raised the plight of workers of closed tea gardens in West Bengal and Assam and demanded that the government should immediately hand over such gardens to other organisation for reopening under the Tea Act of 1953.
Saying 3,500 workers were rendered jobless in Jalpaiguri alone, he sought an assurance from the government for rehabilitation package for them besides subsidy etc.
FROM OUTLOOKparliament: jpc probeA whole Parliament session wasted. How our MPs undermine our democracy...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBFor the recordI want to expresse shock and protest the traffickimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Jul 23 (PTI) The 1999 Kargil incursionsmore from WIRES>>>
- Ahead of Diwali, Govt Approves 2 Per Cent Hike in DA
- Need to Have a Relook on the Minority Tag Given to Muslims: Giriraj Singh
- Pakistan Condemns 'Manhandling' Of Staffer, Says Espionage Charges False
- No Regulation of Media in a Democracy: Venkaiah Naidu
- Pak High Commission Staffer Asked to Leave India Within 48 Hrs
- SC Defers Hearing of Election Petition Against Sonia Gandhi
- Watch: Donald Trump Pulls Out All The Stops With 'Ab Ki Baar, Trump Sarkar'
- Daily Curator: What Happens In Family May Not Stay So
- Neeraj Pandey's Ouch Takes on the Complexities of a Relationship
- Watch: Svetlana Kuznetsova Snips Her Hair And Bosses The Match
- Daily Curator: After Board Says Tata to Cyrus, Bombay HC May Have a Case to Hear
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Libya's Navy Says 90 Migrants Perished After Boat Fell Apart
- Ready to Sacrifice Myself for the Party: Amar Singh
- Neither Bua Nor Bhatija Can Improve Law and Order in UP: Amit Shah
- Pak Not to Attend Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster
- Twitter to Cut 9 Per Cent of Staff, Plots New Growth Strategy
- Ceasefire Violations, If Continues, Will Not Go Unpunished: Sharif Warns India
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED