Petrol Price Likely to Be Cut on Independence Day
Petrol price is likely to be cut on Friday on the back of softening in international rates, Indian Oil Corp, the nation's largest fuel retailer, indicated today.
"Petrol is a decontrolled product and prices increase or decrease depending on input cost every fortnight. We had cut rates on August 1 and will be reviewing prices on August 15," IOC Chairman B Ashok told reporters here.
State retailers revise petrol price on 1st and 16th of every month based on average international oil price and rupee-dollar exchange rate in the previous fortnight.
"There are some positive indications," he said when asked if there is likelihood of a price cut going by the average of oil price and exchange rate so far.
"How much the price can be reduced etc is to be worked out which we will do on the 15th," he said.
Oil firms had last cut rates on August 1 by Rs 1.09 per litre, the first reduction in price since mid-April. Petrol currently costs Rs 72.51 per litre in Delhi.
There are indications that the rates may be cut by a similar amount on August 15 though Ashok refused to speculate on the quantum.
"I really can't say how much prices will be reduced. As I said there are positive indications (from falling international rates and forex rates) and we will get to know of the possible revision only at the end of the fortnight on August 15," he said.
This will be the second reduction in rates this month.
The government had in June 2010 freed petrol prices and since then rates have moved in tandem with the cost on most occasions.
For diesel, the government had in January 2013 decided to eliminate the subsidy in stages through monthly increases in prices by up to 50 paise per litre.
With monthly increases continuing, subsidy or losses on diesel have been trimmed to Rs 1.33 per litre but this will go up as there is a marginal increase in international gasoil (diesel) prices.
Diesel price revision is due only on September 1 as per the policy of raising rates every month.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman