Petition Filed in a Pak Court to Disqualify Sharif
A petition was filed today in a Pakistani court seeking disqualification of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif for lying in his speech to the Parliament.
The application was filed by Gauhar Nawaz who is a senior president of the Insaf Lawyers Forum.
The petition, filed in the Lahore High Court, stated that Sharif yesterday lied on the issue of arbitration by the army to resolve the ongoing political crisis in the country.
He, thus, did not fulfil the qualifications specified in Articles 62 and 63 of the Constitution.
Sharif had told the Parliament that it was Pakistan Awami Tehreek chief Tahirul Qadri and Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf chairman Imran Khan who had requested a meeting with Army Chief General Raheel Sharif in order to broker a settlement with the government over the prevailing political crisis, the Dawn reported.
Sharif said he gave permission for the Army Chief to engage the two leaders and play the role of a mediator.
However, Imran and Qadri had categorically rejected the premier's speech that they had invoked the army's help and had, in separate speeches slammed Sharif for 'lying to the nation'.
The military later issued a short statement saying that it was playing the role of facilitator in the ongoing political crisis at the behest of the government.
Meanwhile, Qadri has set a fresh 24-hour deadline for Sharif to quit as protests around Parliament entered the 17th day today amid efforts by Pakistan army to mediate.
The leaders and the government are scheduled to hold another meeting regarding the protests that Khan and Qadri began August 14 demanding the resignation of Sharif, who they accuse of rigging the 2013 general election.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman