Petition Challenging Modi's Election From Varanasi Deferred
The Allahabad High Court today deferred till October 31 hearing on a petition challenging the election of Prime Minister Narendra Modi from the Varanasi Lok Sabha constituency.
Justice V K Shukla passed the order after being informed by the office of the Registrar General that the notice dated July 18 had not been served on the respondent (Modi) so far.
The court had said the notice "shall be issued by ordinary post as well as registered post and shall also be published in a newspaper having wide circulation in the area to be selected by Registrar General".
The court, while giving directions to ensure that notice was served on the respondent, fixed October 31 as the next date of hearing on the election petition filed by Ajay Rai, a Congress MLA, who had contested from Varanasi in the Lok Sabha election as his party's candidate.
Rai represents Pindra Assembly constituency which falls in Varanasi district but comes under Machhlishahar Lok Sabha segment.
Although Congress had fielded him from Varanasi since he was a "local", Rai ended up finishing third and forfeited his deposit in the high-voltage electoral battle wherein Modi trounced his nearest rival, Arvind Kejriwal of Aam Aadmi Party by a margin of about 3.7 lakh votes.
In his petition, Rai has alleged discrepancies in the affidavit filed by Modi and that crores of rupees were splurged on his poll campaign even though Election Commission has fixed a limit of Rs 70 lakh per candidate for every constituency.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- PM Modi Unveils 112 Feet Shiva Statue In Coimbatore
- Crime Branch Begins Probe On ABVP AISA Clash At Ramjas College
- 'Do We Belong Here?' Asks Wife Of Indian Techie Who Was Shot Dead In US
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman