People of J&K Basic Party to Kashmir Issue: Hurriyat
The moderate faction of the Hurriyat Conference, headed by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq. Today rejected the Centre's assertion that India and Pakistan were the only two parties to the Kashmir issue, saying people of the state were the basic party to the problem.
"We reject the statement of the External Affairs Ministry spokesman that Kashmir issue has only two parties," a Hurriyat spokesman said in a statement here.
The people of Kashmir were the basic party to the issue, he said.
No lasting solution to the issue could be found without taking "wishes and aspirations of the people of Kashmir on board", the spokesman said.
"He (MEA spokesman) should know that bilateral dialogue has not yielded a solution to Kashmir issue in the past," he said.
In New Delhi, External Affairs Ministry spokesman Syed Akbaruddin said "after 1972 and the signing of the Simla Agreement by the Prime Ministers of India and Pakistan, there are only two stakeholders on the issue of Jammu & Kashmir – the Union of India and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
"This is a principle which is the bedrock of our bilateral relations. This was reaffirmed in the Lahore Declaration of 1999 between Prime Ministers Nawaz Sharif and Vajpayee".
India had called off the talks between Foreign Secretaries slated for August 25, telling Pakistan bluntly to choose between an Indo-Pak dialogue or hobnobbing with the separatists.
- Tardy Reaction To Molestation Of A Ladkhi Girl Opens Wounds Of Government Apathy To The Region
- No Security Stamps In These 7 Airports Anymore
- Kerala To Launch First Sex Offenders Registry
- Gujarat To Ban Hookah Bars
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Government To Launch 'Twitter Seva' To Address Public Grievances
- Gujarat Assembly Passes Bill To Impose Complete Ban On Hookah Bars
- Over 61 % Voting in Phase-IV Of UP Assembly Polls
- Vyapam: No CBI Probe Into Madhya Pradesh Pre-Engineering Test
- No Need To Get Security Stamp On Hand Baggages Anymore In These 7 Airports
- Govt Ropes In Shilpa Shetty As Swachh Bharat Brand Ambassador
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman