People of J&K Basic Party to Kashmir Issue: Hurriyat
The moderate faction of the Hurriyat Conference, headed by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq. Today rejected the Centre's assertion that India and Pakistan were the only two parties to the Kashmir issue, saying people of the state were the basic party to the problem.
"We reject the statement of the External Affairs Ministry spokesman that Kashmir issue has only two parties," a Hurriyat spokesman said in a statement here.
The people of Kashmir were the basic party to the issue, he said.
No lasting solution to the issue could be found without taking "wishes and aspirations of the people of Kashmir on board", the spokesman said.
"He (MEA spokesman) should know that bilateral dialogue has not yielded a solution to Kashmir issue in the past," he said.
In New Delhi, External Affairs Ministry spokesman Syed Akbaruddin said "after 1972 and the signing of the Simla Agreement by the Prime Ministers of India and Pakistan, there are only two stakeholders on the issue of Jammu & Kashmir – the Union of India and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
"This is a principle which is the bedrock of our bilateral relations. This was reaffirmed in the Lahore Declaration of 1999 between Prime Ministers Nawaz Sharif and Vajpayee".
India had called off the talks between Foreign Secretaries slated for August 25, telling Pakistan bluntly to choose between an Indo-Pak dialogue or hobnobbing with the separatists.
- Major Who Tied Civilian To Army Jeep, Awarded
- Indian Cabbie Abused And Assaulted In Australia
- Rawal Wants Arundhati Roy Tied To Army Jeep Instead Of Stone-Pelters
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10