Passport Restored, Lalit Modi Takes to Twitter
Former Indian Premier League (IPL) Commissioner Lalit Modi took to twitter 'big time' today after the Delhi High Court ordered the restoration of his passport as he thanked the people who stood by him in his need of hour.
"I want to thank u from the bottom of my heart for standing by me. Some of u had doubts. But today I stand vindicated. It's been a long tough path for me and my family. The 4 years 3 months and 14 days it's taken me to clear my name has not been easy...," tweeted Modi.
I want to thank u from the bottom of my heart for standing by me. Some of u had doubts. But today I stand vindicated. It's been a long ...Advertisement— Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) August 27, 2014
A landmark judgement passed by the division bench of the Delhi High Court, comprising Badar Durrez Ahmed and Vibhu Bakhru, today set aside all orders against Modi and restored his passport.
Importantly, the ruling also set aside all the previous orders, including those of FEMA violations, on Modi – the founder and chief architect of the IPL and the president of the Rajasthan Cricket Association.
This paves the way for his return home to India.
".. I lived daily by my mantra "this too shall pass". I am grateful to the honourable judges of the High Court for providing today this landmark judgement...", Modi wrote on his twitter handle.
..tough path for me and my family. The 4 years 3 months and 14 days it's taken me to clear my name has not been easy. I lived daily by ...Advertisement— Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) August 27, 2014
..my mantra "this too shall pass". I am grateful to the honourable judges of the High court for providing today this landmark judgement...— Lalit Kumar Modi (@LalitKModi) August 27, 2014
Restoring his passport, the bench said the materials taken into consideration while revoking his passport were "extraneous and irrelevant".
Further, the bench said the order revoking Modi's passport was invalid as it was in violation of Article 19(1)(a) (freedom of speech and expression) and (g) (practise any profession, or to carry on any occupation, trade or business) of the Constitution.
The bench also said there is a specific procedure and statutory provisions for default or non-compliance of summonses under FEMA and revocation of his passport for such default on the ground that it was in the interest of general public "was not lawful".
Modi, who was charged for alleged irregularities in IPL funds, was deposed in 2010 and later had to fly off to England to evade arrest after BCCI framed cases against the then boards' vice-president. Modi though refused to talk about it at present.
"I will not be giving any interviews on this subject - just a release and would like the news community to respect that - as today I want to just be with my family and close friends and thank them for helping me get thru this most difficult journey a man was made to go thru...," he further tweeted.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryThe abdication of responsibility by Parliament and the executive has forced a burst of judicial activism—on issues as...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOpinionWhen Justice (retd) Markandey Katju offered Kashmimore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESAllahabad, July 23 (PTI) The Central Administrativmore from WIRES>>>
- Seven Pak Rangers Killed, One Terrorist Shot Down in Retaliatory Firing at IB in Kathua: BSF
- IS Jihadists Attack Iraq's Kirkuk in Mosul Diversion, 16 Dead
- SC Tightens Noose Around BCCI, Chokes Funds to State Units
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- No Need for Comments After Varun's Clarification: BJP
- USA: Twitter, Spotify Disrupted as Internet Provider Reports Attack
- Sheena Bora Case: CBI Files Second Supplementary Charge Sheet
- Wipro Q2 Net Profit Dips 7.6% at Rs 2,070 Crore
- BJP Demands NIA Probe Into Killings of RSS, Party Activists
- Akhilesh Skips Meet Where Shivpal Declares Him CM Nominee
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'