Pakistan Investigates Shahzad-Dilshan's 'Religious Spat'
Pakistan today said it has set up a committee to look into a religious spat between their opener Ahmed Shahzad and Sri Lankan counterpart Tillakaratne Dilshan last month.
Television footage showed Shahzad passing a religious remark at Dilshan after the third and final one-day international in Dambulla last week.
After Sri Lanka notched a seven-wicket win to take the series 2-1 and the players were walking off the field, Shahzad can be heard on camera saying to Dilshan: "If you are a non-Muslim and you turn Muslim, no matter whatever you do in your life, straight to heaven."
Dilshan replied he doesn't want to go there, to which Shahzad replied: "Then be ready for the fire."
The remarks stemmed from reports that 37-year-old Dilshan was born to a Muslim father and a Buddhist mother and was originally named Tuwan Mohamed Dilshan.
But once his parents separated he changed his religion and name to Tillakaratne Mudiyanselage Dilshan as a Buddhist.
The footage went viral on the Internet, prompting the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to summon Shahzad on Wednesday.
A PCB spokesman said the matter will be investigated by an internal committee headed by director of international cricket Zakir Khan.
"We have formed an internal committee under Zakir and have also written to Sri Lanka Cricket whether they have any complaint," said spokesman Agha Akbar.
Pakistan team manager Moin Khan said no official complaint was lodged after the match.
"It happened on the last day of the tour but there as no official complaint by match officials or Sri Lankan players so I think it must be a general thing," said Moin.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Watch: Delhi College Guard Brutally Beats Street Dog To Death, Case Registered After Video Goes Viral
- Modi Promised 'Acche Din' Like SRK In DDLJ, Ended Up Being Sholay's Gabbar, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Pakistan Senate Passes Landmark Hindu Marriage Bill
- Bangladesh Bans Irrfan Khan Starrer Biopic No Bed of Roses