Pakistan Investigates Shahzad-Dilshan's 'Religious Spat'
Pakistan today said it has set up a committee to look into a religious spat between their opener Ahmed Shahzad and Sri Lankan counterpart Tillakaratne Dilshan last month.
Television footage showed Shahzad passing a religious remark at Dilshan after the third and final one-day international in Dambulla last week.
After Sri Lanka notched a seven-wicket win to take the series 2-1 and the players were walking off the field, Shahzad can be heard on camera saying to Dilshan: "If you are a non-Muslim and you turn Muslim, no matter whatever you do in your life, straight to heaven."
Dilshan replied he doesn't want to go there, to which Shahzad replied: "Then be ready for the fire."
The remarks stemmed from reports that 37-year-old Dilshan was born to a Muslim father and a Buddhist mother and was originally named Tuwan Mohamed Dilshan.
But once his parents separated he changed his religion and name to Tillakaratne Mudiyanselage Dilshan as a Buddhist.
The footage went viral on the Internet, prompting the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to summon Shahzad on Wednesday.
A PCB spokesman said the matter will be investigated by an internal committee headed by director of international cricket Zakir Khan.
"We have formed an internal committee under Zakir and have also written to Sri Lanka Cricket whether they have any complaint," said spokesman Agha Akbar.
Pakistan team manager Moin Khan said no official complaint was lodged after the match.
"It happened on the last day of the tour but there as no official complaint by match officials or Sri Lankan players so I think it must be a general thing," said Moin.
FROM OUTLOOKSportsNursing a badly bruised ego, a post-surgery Kiwiteam aim to rediscover the elusive art of flying...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBAppraisalHanif Mohammad, the original Little Master of cricmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESK J M Varma Islamabad, Feb 7 (PTI) Former skmore from WIRES>>>
- India Talks Tough With Pak, Says Willing to Discuss Terror
- Stand By Every Word I Said on RSS: Rahul Gandhi
- Angry Mehbooba Ends Press Meet With Rajnath Abruptly
- Scorpene Leak: Navy Takes Up Issue With France's DGA
- Alternatives to Pellet Guns in Few Days: Rajnath
- AI Mumbai-Newark Flight Diverted to Kazakhstan After 'Alarm Went Off'
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Anil Arora, Mr. Bookworm, R.I.P.
- No Records Available on AgustaWestland Deal: Defence Ministry, IAF
- Hawkish Stance of Govt Has Mellowed Down: Cong on Kashmir
- Amarinder Will Take a Call on Sidhu's Entry Into Cong
- Probe Ordered in Tribal Man's Plight of Not Getting Vehicle to Carry Wife's Body
- JNU Rape Case: Accused Sent to 14 Days Judicial Custody
- Chilli-Filled 'PAVA Shells' Seen as Alternative to Pellet Guns
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED