Pak Woman Journalist Named Winner Of Peter Mackler Award 2014
Asma Shirazi, Pakistan's first female war correspondent and host of popular TV talk shows, was named 2014 Winner of Peter Mackler Award for Courageous and Ethical Journalism on August 22.
Shirazi reported on conflicts that include the 2006 Israel-Lebanon war, Taliban violence on Pakistan-Afghanistan border in 2009 and General Pervez Musharraf's 2007 state of emergency.
She also hosted two popular television talk shows, including one on parliamentary affairs that Musharraf banned when he clamped down on independent news coverage.
"We are thrilled to recognize the courage and dedication to journalistic ethics that Ms. Shirazi has displayed every day of her career," said Camille Mackler, Project Director for the Peter Mackler Award.
At great personal risk and defying death threats, Shirazi ensures "that unbiased, free information is available throughout Pakistan," Mackler said.
Shirazi is the second woman to win the award since its creation in 2008, after Honduran radio news editor Karla Rivas won in 2011.
Shirazi's award pays "tribute to the courage of those who fight for freedom of information in Pakistan, where seven journalists were murdered in connection with their work in 2013," said Delphine Halgand, US director of media watchdog Reporters Without Borders.
"AFP is happy to be associated with this recognition of Asma Shirazi's great courage and perseverance in reporting on conflict and politics in Pakistan despite the personal dangers she faced," said David Millikin, AFP's director for North America.
The award, named for the late Agence France-Presse , will be presented at a ceremony at the National Press Club in Washington on October 23.
The Award is administered by Global Media Forum in partnership with AFP and Reporters Without Borders.
Pakistan is currently ranked 158th out of 180 countries in the World Press Freedom Index published by Reporters Without Borders.
FROM OUTLOOKProfileWriting apart, Jnanpith winner Mahasweta Devi is committed to the rehabilitation of tribals...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBImpressionsGetting a first-day-first-show ticket for Capmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, Mar 19 (PTI) Noted Tamil writer D Jayakmore from WIRES>>>
- Govt Plans to Further Liberalize Visa Regime to Boost Tourism: Swaraj
- Teesta Setalvad Liable for Mixing Religion With Politics: HRD Panel
- SP Appears on Brink of Split as CM Sacks Shivpal, Mulayam Expels Ramgopal
- Now, Adult Film Star Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- BSF Jawan Gurnam Singh Injured in Pak Attack Succumbs to Injuries
- ADHM Row: Army Upset Over Being Dragged Into Film Politics, Rejects Forced Donation
- Should You Be Worried About H5N8 Bird Flu? A Quick Guide To The Alphabet Soup
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Sent to Judicial Custody in Wife's Suicide Case
- Not Just a Business Partner, But an Ally Who Stood By India in its Darkest Hours: Russia
- Two Explosions Hit Japanese City in Suspected Suicide Bombing, One Killed
- My Removal From Govt an Attempt to Weaken SP Leadership: Shivpal
- Reports Say Queen Elizabeth Faces Massive Post-Brexit Losses
- Rajnath Singh Leaves for Three-Day Visit to Bahrain, to Raise Pak Issue
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- BJP Wants To Make India a Hindu Rashtra, Owaisi Attacks PM for His 'Jai Shri Ram' Greeting
- Injected With Petrol Into Their Private Parts, UP Teenagers Still Await Surgery
- Scenes With Ranbir in Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Not Frivolous Sensuality: Aishwarya
- Muslim Woman Refuses to Accept Triple Talaq Notice by Husband
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'