Pak PM to Address Nation Ahead of Anti-Govt Protests
Ahead of two massive anti- government rallies on August 14, Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will address the people and take them into confidence over his administration's strategy on opposition protests.
The decision to directly talk to the people was taken yesterday at a consultative meeting of Sharif with senior party leaders at his Raiwind estate near Lahore.
The televised address will be delivered this evening, less than 48 hours ahead of a joint protest by Canada-based Pakistani cleric Tahirul Qadri and cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan.
According to a senior leader of Sharif's Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), the Prime Minister will highlight his achievement during one year of rule and ask the people to reject the politics of protests.
He will also offer an olive branch to Khan over his complaints about rigging of last year's elections.
The leader also said the PML-N meeting in Raiwind decided to contain Qadri at his Model Town residence in Lahore but Khan will be allowed to lead his march.
Both Qadri and Khan are pursuing different objectives but have announced to bring hundreds and thousands of people to Islamabad to topple the government.
Qadri wants to bring a "revolution" while Khan wants snap polls through a reformed election commission to eliminate chances of electoral fraud.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 2 Indians Die Every Minute Due to Air Pollution: Study
- Soon, Passport Can Be Applied At Post Offices
- NGT Slaps Rs 10Lakh Fine On Noida-Based Water Bottling Unit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Jet Airways Restores Contact With ATC After German Authorites Send Fighter Jets for Fear Of Hijack
- 61.16 Per Cent Turnout in UP Phase-3: Polling Peaceful
- People Will Take Revenge on BJP For Note Ban: Rahul, Akhilesh
- Ravi Shankar Prasad Dares Congress, SP, BSP to Clarify Stand on Triple Talaq
- UP Polls: Over 55 Per Cent Turnout Till 4 PM
- Mulayam Clarifies No Rift In SP, Confident Akhilesh Will Be CM
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Watch: Delhi College Guard Brutally Beats Street Dog To Death, Case Registered After Video Goes Viral
- Modi Promised 'Acche Din' Like SRK In DDLJ, Ended Up Being Sholay's Gabbar, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Pakistan Senate Passes Landmark Hindu Marriage Bill
- Bangladesh Bans Irrfan Khan Starrer Biopic No Bed of Roses