Oxford, Cambridge Universities Set for Major Fee Hike
Britain's famed Oxford and Cambridge universities are set to significantly hike their student fees to cover their rising costs.
According to plans under consideration by the Conservative Party, the elite British institutions could be allowed to increase fees to as much as 16,000 pounds a year.
Under points being considered for the Tory manifesto, former higher education minister David Willetts told the Sunday Times that he had held talks with a dozen of Britain's top universities to explore whether they would want to buy their students' loan debts and try to collect them.
In return, they would expect to raise fees above the current 9,000-pound-a-year limit.
"There is a long-standing issue with Oxbridge, because their distinctive high model means that the 9,000 pounds does not cover all their costs," Willetts told the newspaper.
Both universities confirmed that they estimated they needed up to 16,000 pounds to cover the costs of teaching students in small groups and within the expensive college system and currently funded the gap themselves.
The UK government faces a debt time-bomb and latest estimates suggest that up to 45 per cent of the loans students borrow for university fees and living expenses will never be repaid because graduates will not command high enough salaries.
A research exercise tracking how successful 170,000 graduates have been in starting lucrative careers over the past 20 years is expected to spark demands that taxpayers stop paying for degrees for students with poor salary prospects.
- 'One Nation One Tax' to Eliminate Corruption: Jaitley on GST
- Bangladeshi-Canadian Named as Dhaka Cafe Attack Mastermind
- Assam Flood Situation 'Grave And Challenging': Rajnath
- Karnataka CM's Son Dies of Pancreatitis in Belgium
- Clashes in Kashmir, Curfew Lifted in Many Areas
- Kashmir: Army Foils Infiltration Bid, Two Militants, Two Soldiers Killed
- Outlook Cover Story On RSS Trafficking Goes Viral
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Army Takes Possession of Adarsh Building
- Angul SP Injured in Clash Between BJD, BJP in Odisha
- Terrorists Like Burhan Wani Don't Deserve Second Chance: Deputy CM
- West Indies Reach 88 for 4 at Lunch vs India on Day 1
- 16 Killed in Texas Hot Air Balloon Crash
- Court Convicts Film Director Farooqui of Raping US Researcher
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED