Oxford, Cambridge Universities Set for Major Fee Hike
Britain's famed Oxford and Cambridge universities are set to significantly hike their student fees to cover their rising costs.
According to plans under consideration by the Conservative Party, the elite British institutions could be allowed to increase fees to as much as 16,000 pounds a year.
Under points being considered for the Tory manifesto, former higher education minister David Willetts told the Sunday Times that he had held talks with a dozen of Britain's top universities to explore whether they would want to buy their students' loan debts and try to collect them.
In return, they would expect to raise fees above the current 9,000-pound-a-year limit.
"There is a long-standing issue with Oxbridge, because their distinctive high model means that the 9,000 pounds does not cover all their costs," Willetts told the newspaper.
Both universities confirmed that they estimated they needed up to 16,000 pounds to cover the costs of teaching students in small groups and within the expensive college system and currently funded the gap themselves.
The UK government faces a debt time-bomb and latest estimates suggest that up to 45 per cent of the loans students borrow for university fees and living expenses will never be repaid because graduates will not command high enough salaries.
A research exercise tracking how successful 170,000 graduates have been in starting lucrative careers over the past 20 years is expected to spark demands that taxpayers stop paying for degrees for students with poor salary prospects.
- Indian Army Launched Surgical Strikes in PoK
- PM Chairs CCS Meeting to Review Situation Along LoC
- Meeting on Most Favoured Nation Status to Pakistan Postponed
- Ceasefire Violations Along LoC in Naugam Sector, Poonch
- CBSE Likely to Make Class 10 Board Exams Compulsory From 2018
- Three Injured in Shooting at Elementary School in US, Suspect in Custody: Police
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Cauvery Impasse: No Breakthrough at Meet Convened by Centre
- Clear Response Given by Targeting Terror Breeding Centres: Shah
- Scarlett Keeling Case: Mother Writes to PM, Seeks Reinvestigation By SIT
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Four CMs, Opposition Leaders on Army Strike
- Congress, AAP Congratulate Army on Anti-Terror Surgical Strikes
- Surgical Strike: 7 Terror Launch Pads Targeted, Heliborne, Ground Forces Used
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED