Over 50 Feared Dead As Bus Washed Away in Floods in J&K
Over 50 people were today feared dead after a bus carrying a marriage party, including the bride and groom, was washed away in flash floods in Rajouri district of Jammu and Kashmir.
The bus carrying over 50 people, mostly members of the marriage party, was crossing the Laam-Darhal-Moushera Road when it got washed away in the flash floods in Gambhir river, a senior Army officer said.
An Army unit, which immediately reached the spot after the mishap, rescued four people who had jumped off the bus, he said, adding that those rescued included the driver and conductor of the bus.
The Army immediately rushed a rescue column with specialist engineering staff, recovery vehicle and medical van to retrieve individuals almost all of whom are feared dead, the officer said in a statement here.
The four survivors were administered first aid, he said, adding rescue operations were on till late in the evening.
The driver told the Army team that there were nearly 50 people in the bus, the officer said.
The Army has launched an operation to search and rescue the victims, he said.
Confirming that 50 people were feared dead, SSP Mubasir Latiffee, also rushed to the spot along with a police team for the rescue work by both Army and Police.
Meanwhile, a truck was also washed away in flash floods in Noushera of Rajouri district, police said, adding details of the incident were awaited.
Minister of State for Home Sajjad Ahmed Kichloo expressed grief and sorrow over the loss of lives in the bus mishap.
Kichloo also expressed grief over the 20 deaths due to floods in various districts including Poonch, Reasi, Doda, Anantnag, Baramulla and Budgam.
FROM OUTLOOKCover StoryFor many, the worst may well be over. For several others, however, this may just be the beginning...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBMumbai MusingsBefore one could celebrate the strong and satisfacmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESItanagar, July 23 (PTI) Flood situation in Arunachmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Will Give Befitting Response to Any Misadventure: Raheel
- Shahabuddin Surrenders, Says CM Will be 'Taught a Lesson'
- Sri Lanka Becomes Fifth Nation to Pull Out of SAARC
- SC Cancels RJD Leader Shahabuddin's Bail, Sends Him Back to Jail
- Surgical Strikes by India in PoK an Act of Self Defence: Afghanistan
- Bihar Liquor Prohibition Law Illegal, Rules Patna High Court
- Denzel Washington's 'FENCES' Trailer Promises Oscar Contenders
- Roasted For Being Dark, Parched Actor Tannishtha Chatterjee Gets Apology
- Karachi's Stand-Up Comedian Has His Reasons Why India And Pakistan Should Not Go To War
- Prabhu Deva Does A Gandi Baat Jig With Father
- Highlights From The First US Presidential Debate
- List Of People Who Have Been At The Receiving End Of A Shoe
- Will Tell India What Is Real Surgical Strike: Saeed
- Telcos Meet TRAI, Allege Tariff Order Violation by RJio
- Surgical Strike: South Korea Supports India's Stance
- Court Issues NBW Against Dawood Ibrahim, Chhota Shakeel
- 10 Killed, 29 Missing in Typhoon Megi in China
- Philippine Prez Duterte 'Happy to Slaughter' Drug Suspects, Mentions Hitler
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED