Over 50 Feared Dead As Bus Washed Away in Floods in J&K
Over 50 people were today feared dead after a bus carrying a marriage party, including the bride and groom, was washed away in flash floods in Rajouri district of Jammu and Kashmir.
The bus carrying over 50 people, mostly members of the marriage party, was crossing the Laam-Darhal-Moushera Road when it got washed away in the flash floods in Gambhir river, a senior Army officer said.
An Army unit, which immediately reached the spot after the mishap, rescued four people who had jumped off the bus, he said, adding that those rescued included the driver and conductor of the bus.
The Army immediately rushed a rescue column with specialist engineering staff, recovery vehicle and medical van to retrieve individuals almost all of whom are feared dead, the officer said in a statement here.
The four survivors were administered first aid, he said, adding rescue operations were on till late in the evening.
The driver told the Army team that there were nearly 50 people in the bus, the officer said.
The Army has launched an operation to search and rescue the victims, he said.
Confirming that 50 people were feared dead, SSP Mubasir Latiffee, also rushed to the spot along with a police team for the rescue work by both Army and Police.
Meanwhile, a truck was also washed away in flash floods in Noushera of Rajouri district, police said, adding details of the incident were awaited.
Minister of State for Home Sajjad Ahmed Kichloo expressed grief and sorrow over the loss of lives in the bus mishap.
Kichloo also expressed grief over the 20 deaths due to floods in various districts including Poonch, Reasi, Doda, Anantnag, Baramulla and Budgam.
- Major Who Tied Civilian To Army Jeep, Awarded
- Indian Cabbie Abused And Assaulted In Australia
- Rawal Wants Arundhati Roy Tied To Army Jeep Instead Of Stone-Pelters
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10