Odisha Journo Murder: Two of the Four Accused Held
Thirteen days after the sensational murder of a journalist in Odisha's Ganjam district, two of the four accused were arrested today, police said.
P Shyam Sundar Prusty, owner of a cashew processing unit at Khallikote, and N Ramesh Reddy, owner of a light and sound unit at Berhampur, were arrested from their places while two other accused were still at large, sub-divisional police officer (SDPO), Chhatrapur, A Ch Padhi said.
Tarun Acharya, a 34-year-old journalist working in a private Odia TV channel, was murdered at Khallikote in Ganjam district on May 28 night while returning home at nearby Bikrampur after completing his work. Police had recovered his body next day with his throat slit with sharp weapons.
Prusty was suspected to be the main conspirator of the crime as he had quarrelled with the journalist a few days earlier over a news item on working of children in his cashew processing unit following which he had allegedly arranged contract killers to commit the crime, police said.
Initially, police suspected that old enmity might have led to the incident and investigation was proceeding accordingly. DIG (southern range) Amitabh Thakur had visited the spot to supervise the inquiry.
"During investigation, we got some clues and arrested the duo," SDPO said.
A squad has been formed to nab the other two accused who have since been identified and team members have been sent to different places including outside the state to nab them.
Journalist associations across the state had strongly condemned the incident.
- Telangana CM Offers Gold Moustache To Temple
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Man Sitting On Indefinite Hunger Strike Gets Married At The Protest Site
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events
- Female Intruder From Pakistan Shot Dead, Another Arrested By The BSF
- After Ornaments, Telangana CM Now Offers Gold Moustache At Another Temple
- Business Models Of E-Tailers Running Out Of Steam, Haven't Worked, Says Mohandas Pai
- Demonetisation Sucked in Cash Like Vacuum Cleaner, Adversely Affected Consumption: IMF Official
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman