Odisha Journo Murder: Two of the Four Accused Held
Thirteen days after the sensational murder of a journalist in Odisha's Ganjam district, two of the four accused were arrested today, police said.
P Shyam Sundar Prusty, owner of a cashew processing unit at Khallikote, and N Ramesh Reddy, owner of a light and sound unit at Berhampur, were arrested from their places while two other accused were still at large, sub-divisional police officer (SDPO), Chhatrapur, A Ch Padhi said.
Tarun Acharya, a 34-year-old journalist working in a private Odia TV channel, was murdered at Khallikote in Ganjam district on May 28 night while returning home at nearby Bikrampur after completing his work. Police had recovered his body next day with his throat slit with sharp weapons.
Prusty was suspected to be the main conspirator of the crime as he had quarrelled with the journalist a few days earlier over a news item on working of children in his cashew processing unit following which he had allegedly arranged contract killers to commit the crime, police said.
Initially, police suspected that old enmity might have led to the incident and investigation was proceeding accordingly. DIG (southern range) Amitabh Thakur had visited the spot to supervise the inquiry.
"During investigation, we got some clues and arrested the duo," SDPO said.
A squad has been formed to nab the other two accused who have since been identified and team members have been sent to different places including outside the state to nab them.
Journalist associations across the state had strongly condemned the incident.
- One Killed In Clashes At Saharanpur, Mayawati Slams Yogi Government
- Twitter Forces Rawal To Delete Tweet On Roy
- Melania Trump Evades Donald Trump’s Hand Again, For The Second Time
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10