Obama Nominates Indian-American As District Court Judge
US President Barack Obama has nominated yet another Indian-American counsel, Amit Privardhan Mehta, to the key post of US District Court judge for Washington DC.
Announcing Mehta's nominations along with other judiciary posts, Obama said, "I am pleased to nominate these distinguished individuals to serve on the United States District Court bench."
"I am confident they will serve the American people with integrity and a steadfast commitment to justice," he added.
Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard, in a statement, applauded the nomination of Amit Mehta to serve on the US District Court for the District of Columbia.
"I congratulate Amit Mehta on his nomination to the US District Court for the District of Columbia, a privilege only our best and brightest earn," said Gabbard, the first ever Hindu lawmaker in the US Congress.
"Amit has led a distinguished legal career and brings with him successful trial and litigation experience. His diverse perspective will be welcome on the court, and I urge the Senate to act quickly to confirm Amit," Gabbard said.
Mehta currently is a partner at the office of Zuckerman Spader, a Washington DC-based firm, where he represents clients in civil and criminal matters before state and federal courts. He rejoined the firm as counsel in 2007, after serving as a staff attorney for the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia from 2002 to 2007.
Mehta worked as an associate at Zuckerman Spaeder LLP from 1999 to 2002, as a law clerk for Judge Susan P. Graber of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit from 1998 to 1999, and as an associate at Latham & Watkins LLP from 1997 to 1998.
He received his J D in 1997 from the University of Virginia School of Law and his B A in 1993 from Georgetown University.
If confirmed by the United States Senate, Mehta will become the first Asian Pacific American to serve as a federal district court judge in Washington, DC.
FROM OUTLOOKLifestylePronto pujas and instant mantras speed the new age priest on his way to the NRI faithful...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBOPINIONIt is balle-balle time for Punjabis in Canada aftemore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESSoni MishraNew Delhi, Dec 31 (PTI) Their ancestorsmore from WIRES>>>
- Congress Derails RS Proceedings Over Private Member Bill on AP
- Supreme Court Allows Abortion of 24-Week Old Foetus
- Two Dead, 17 Wounded at Florida Nightclub Shooting
- SC Notice to Vijay Mallya on Petition of Consortium of Banks
- Sidhu Blasts BJP, Doesn't Say If He Is Joining AAP
- Chinkara Case: Rajasthan High Court Acquits Salman Khan
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Daily Curator: Oh Non! #NiceAttack
- Has TV News Given Up The Ghost On Kashmir?
- Daily Curator: Gujarat Police Reopens The Ghost of Godhra
- Cong Wants Portuguese as Second Language in Goa Schools
- Missing IAF Plane: No Debris or Survivors Found Yet, Says Coast Guard
- Hardline Maoist Group Holds Strike in Nepal
- Bill to Bring Cab Aggregators Like Uber, Ola on Anvil: Govt
- Israeli Woman Rape Case: Police Detain Two for Questioning
- Forest Clearance is Now Granted Within 200 Days: Govt
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED