Obama Nominates Indian-American As District Court Judge
US President Barack Obama has nominated yet another Indian-American counsel, Amit Privardhan Mehta, to the key post of US District Court judge for Washington DC.
Announcing Mehta's nominations along with other judiciary posts, Obama said, "I am pleased to nominate these distinguished individuals to serve on the United States District Court bench."
"I am confident they will serve the American people with integrity and a steadfast commitment to justice," he added.
Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard, in a statement, applauded the nomination of Amit Mehta to serve on the US District Court for the District of Columbia.
"I congratulate Amit Mehta on his nomination to the US District Court for the District of Columbia, a privilege only our best and brightest earn," said Gabbard, the first ever Hindu lawmaker in the US Congress.
"Amit has led a distinguished legal career and brings with him successful trial and litigation experience. His diverse perspective will be welcome on the court, and I urge the Senate to act quickly to confirm Amit," Gabbard said.
Mehta currently is a partner at the office of Zuckerman Spader, a Washington DC-based firm, where he represents clients in civil and criminal matters before state and federal courts. He rejoined the firm as counsel in 2007, after serving as a staff attorney for the Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia from 2002 to 2007.
Mehta worked as an associate at Zuckerman Spaeder LLP from 1999 to 2002, as a law clerk for Judge Susan P. Graber of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit from 1998 to 1999, and as an associate at Latham & Watkins LLP from 1997 to 1998.
He received his J D in 1997 from the University of Virginia School of Law and his B A in 1993 from Georgetown University.
If confirmed by the United States Senate, Mehta will become the first Asian Pacific American to serve as a federal district court judge in Washington, DC.
- Forced to Marry Pak Man, Uzma Returns, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- HRD Minister Assures To Declare CBSE Results On Time
- Maharashtra CM Escapes Unhurt After His Helicopter Crash Lands In Latur
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10