NSA Doval Denies Bypassing MEA in Talking to Pak Envoy
National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval today trashed suggestions that he had bypassed the Ministry of External Affairs by directly talking to Pakistan High Commissioner Abdul Basit last month amid escalation of tensions on the border.
"It was absolutely necessary to tell them (Pakistan) without any loss of time that you stop it or else we will retaliate. This message was concurrently given to our High Commissioner in Islamabad and to the High Commissioner of Pakistan here. When there is an emergency, you do not go into who should be talking to whom," Doval said.
"If it's a police commissioner sitting here and if there is somebody's life to be saved, though it may be the job of a constable, but he will go and do it himself. So there is no question of embarassing anyone and Sushma Swaraj (External Affairs Minister) was anyway not there at that time," he said.
The NSA was reported to have spoken to Basit thrice in two days in July following repeated ceasefire violations by Pakistan. It is unusual for the NSA to directly speak to the High Commissioner of any country as it is the Foreign Office which does it.
He also refuted suggestions that that the PMO dictates the terms in all matters.
"To say that the PMO dictates the terms, or calls the shots, it's completely wrong. It's all a team work and we work very closely as a team," Doval said.
He was in the city to deliver a lecture on 'State security, statecraft and conflict of values' organised by the Lalit Doshi Memorial Foundation. Doshi was an IAS officer of Maharashtra.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- Did Malayalam Channel Honey Trap Minister?
- 'Mother Was Denied Judgeship in India'
- Why President Zuma Was Told Not To Attend Funeral Of Anit-Apartheid Doyen Ahmed Kathrada
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Amit Shah Must Apologise to Goans For Forcefully Forming Govt, Demands Congress
- Rajya Sabha Briefly Adjourned As Opposition Protest Over Rajasthan's Minister's Remarks On Rape Victim
- Mother Was Denied Judgeship in India, Says Nikki Haley
- Samsung Unveils S8 Smartphones With Virtual Assistant Bixby
- Namaaz Offering Resembles Different Asanas of Surya Namaskar: Yogi Adityanath
- 2 Killed in Fire at a South Kolkata Hotel
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Maternity Bill Gets President's Nod
- Former Hockey Player Aslam Khan Forms RSS-Like Outfit To Help Congress
- Getting Threats for Criticising BJP, Modi, Alleges Historian Ramachandra Guha
- Chinese Media: India Vigilant Against China, Has Chosen Japan As Partner For Country's First High-Speed Railway