Nothing Wrong With 'PK' Poster, SC Dismisses Plea Against Aamir
Aamir Khan can breathe a sigh of relief with the Supreme Court today rejecting a plea seeking ban on his upcoming film 'PK' for allegedly promoting obscenity and hurting religious sentiments, saying religion should not be brought into "matters of art and entertainment."
The apex court also saw nothing wrong with the poster of the actor in the Rajkumar Hirani-directed film, where a nude Aamir, 48, is seen standing on a railway track with a transistor protecting his modesty.
"What is wrong with it. Don't be so sensitive to these things," a bench headed by Chief Justice R M Lodha said when advocate Nafis Siddiqui, appearing for the petitioner, showed the film poster.
"These are matters of art and entertainment. Let it remain so. Don't bring religious facet to it," the bench, also comprising justices Kurian Joseph and R F Nariman, said when Siddiqui submitted that the poster also hurts religious sentiments and it would also disturb public order.
The bench asked the counsel how the poster or the film has violated any constitutional and legal provision.
"Has any legal and constitutional rights been affected? Any restriction on filmmakers, as sought by you, would affect their rights," it said.
The apex court said nothing is hidden from youth in the age of Internet and any prohibitory order is not required.
"Our society is very mature society. No body will get agitated on it," the bench said, adding, "If you don't like then don't watch the movie."
The petition, filed by All India Human Rights and Social Justice Front, said the film promotes nudity. Aamir and Hirani were also made parties in the case in addition to the Centre and the Information and Broadcasting Ministry.
Anushka Sharma plays the female lead in the movie, slated for a December 19 release.
- Suicide Bomber Responsible For Manchester Blast
- Police Confirm Probe Still On Against Major Who Used Civilian As Human-Shield
- Manchester Attack: 'Broken.. I'm Sorry', Says Pop Singer Ariana Whose Concert Was Hit
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- 1984 Riots: Congress Leader Jagdish Tytler Refuses To Undergo Polygraph Test
- Bomb Scare Delays Movie Screening At Cannes
- Indian Railways' First Ever High-Speed Luxurious Train, Tejas Express, To Be Flagged Off Today
- Allegations Prove Others Are Scared of AAP's Anti-Corruption Campaign: Kejriwal
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10