Nothing Wrong With 'PK' Poster, SC Dismisses Plea Against Aamir
Aamir Khan can breathe a sigh of relief with the Supreme Court today rejecting a plea seeking ban on his upcoming film 'PK' for allegedly promoting obscenity and hurting religious sentiments, saying religion should not be brought into "matters of art and entertainment."
The apex court also saw nothing wrong with the poster of the actor in the Rajkumar Hirani-directed film, where a nude Aamir, 48, is seen standing on a railway track with a transistor protecting his modesty.
"What is wrong with it. Don't be so sensitive to these things," a bench headed by Chief Justice R M Lodha said when advocate Nafis Siddiqui, appearing for the petitioner, showed the film poster.
"These are matters of art and entertainment. Let it remain so. Don't bring religious facet to it," the bench, also comprising justices Kurian Joseph and R F Nariman, said when Siddiqui submitted that the poster also hurts religious sentiments and it would also disturb public order.
The bench asked the counsel how the poster or the film has violated any constitutional and legal provision.
"Has any legal and constitutional rights been affected? Any restriction on filmmakers, as sought by you, would affect their rights," it said.
The apex court said nothing is hidden from youth in the age of Internet and any prohibitory order is not required.
"Our society is very mature society. No body will get agitated on it," the bench said, adding, "If you don't like then don't watch the movie."
The petition, filed by All India Human Rights and Social Justice Front, said the film promotes nudity. Aamir and Hirani were also made parties in the case in addition to the Centre and the Information and Broadcasting Ministry.
Anushka Sharma plays the female lead in the movie, slated for a December 19 release.
- Absconding UP BJP Leader Dayashankar Singh Arrested From Bihar
- Gurgaon: Thousands Stranded on NH-8 Due to Waterlogging, Heavy Rains
- Govt Lists GST Bill For Consideration in Rajya Sabha
- One San Diego Cop Killed, Another Wounded in Shooting: Police
- Protestors Defy Curfew, Clash With Security Forces
- Indian National Not Executed in Indonesia: Swaraj
- Nike's Deepika Video Gets Rural India's YouTube Reply
- Nita Ambani's Y-Security Cover Gets Her on Twitter Trend
- Celeb-Laden FB Pellet Shot for Celeb-Loving India
- As If Donald Trump Wasn't Enough!
- Daily Curator: Why Cockroach Milk Is Good For You
- Daily Curator: Emergency For Media In Kashmir
- Salman Poaching Case: Key Witness Demands Police Protection
- Pregnant Woman Crushed to Death by Bus in Andhra
- Need to Have Dialogue With People of Kashmir: V.K. Singh
- Odisha: BJD MLA, Party Workers Thrash BJP Supporters, Case Registered
- Eight Held for Protests During BSP Leader Siddiqui's Visit in UP
- Judge Recuses From Hearing BJP MLA's Bail Petition
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED