Not Subservient to India: Pakistan
A day after India cancelled Foreign Secretary-level talks over Pakistani envoy's meeting with Kashmiri separatists, Pakistan today reacted strongly saying it was "not subservient" to New Delhi and was a "legitimate stakeholder" in the Kashmir dispute.
Arguing that High Commissioner Abdul Basit did not interfere in India's internal affairs, Pakistan Foreign Office spokesperson Tasnim Aslam claimed that Kashmir was not part of India.
"That is just a pretext. It was not the first time that meetings with Hurriyat leaders took place. It is been happening for decades," Tasnim told PTI.
She was replying to Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh telling Basit to not to go ahead with the meeting in New Delhi and to choose between dialogue with India or with the Kashmiri separatists.
"The High Commissioner of Pakistan did not interfere in India's internal affairs. Pakistan is not subservient to India. It is a sovereign country, a legitimate stakeholder in the Jammu and Kashmir dispute," she said.
Aslam, who has previously served in India, asserted that "Kashmir is not part of India".
"It is a disputed territory. There are numerous UN resolutions," she said.
Pakistan had yesterday described the cancellation of next week's Foreign Secretary-level talks as a "setback" to Indo-Pak ties.
The remarks came after India called off talks between Foreign Secretaries of the two countries scheduled to be held in Islamabad on August 25, telling Pakistan bluntly to choose between an Indo-Pak dialogue or hobnobbing with the separatists.
India cancelled the talks, raising strong objections to consultations held with separatist Hurriyat leaders by Pakistan's High Commissioner.
- PM Inaugurates India's Longest Bridge in Assam
- Wreckage Of Missing Sukhoi Fighter Jet Found
- Modi Govt Should Rethink NITI Aayog Existence: RSS trade union
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10