No SP Man in Shia Waqf Board: Azam Clarifies
Accused of meddling in affairs of Shia Waqf Board, Uttar Pradesh minister Azam Khan today said elections of the Board were being held as per the law and not a single member was associated with the Samajwadi Party.
"All together there are 27 members. A person, who will have 14 members, will win the seat of chairman. If a person does not have even 14 members then he should not claim himself to be a religious leader," he said.
On July 26, prominent Shia cleric Maulana Kalbe Jawwad led a protest in the city alleging conspiracy to place select people in the Waqf Board.
Jawwad had alleged Azam is trying to place his own man on the post of the chairman of Shia Central Board of Waqfs (SCBW).
The minister also launched a veiled attack on Jawwad alleging the language he was using seems intended to please his masters in the BJP.
"The language this so-called cleric is using is intended to please the BJP government at the Centre," Azam told reporters here.
The minister said baseless and unfounded allegations were being levelled against him.
He said when the SP government came to power, he wrote a letter for a CBI inquiry into sale of properties of Waqf.
Azam said as far as the land of Maulana Ali Jauhar University is concerned, it was not received in donation.
"An effort is being made to damage Jauhar University," he said.
- Outlook's Agony Aunt
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Hafiz Saeed A Serious Threat To Nation: Pak's Defence Minister
- CBI Searches Former Chief A.P. Singh's Residence
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- CBI Arrests IRS Officer For Bribery In IPL-Betting Scam
- Cong Promises to Strive for Removal of AFSPA If Voted Back to Power
- Indefinite Bandh Called Off In Nagaland
- At Least 6 Killed, 14 Injured In Suicide Blast Outside Pakistan Court
- Trump Picks Lt Gen McMaster As New National Security Advisor
- BSF Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC, Militant Killed
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Wary Of Indian Space-Tech, China Plans On Fast-Tracking Its Rocket Launches
- 'He Would Put His Fingers Inside Me, Move My Leg Around': US Gymnasts Accuse Former Team Doctor
- Stockholm-Based Think-Tank Says India Was The World's Largest Arms Importer In The Past Five Years
- Woman Allegedly Raped Near South Delhi's Hauz Khas Village