No Plan to Give Govt Employees' Benefit to ASHAs: Vardhan
Government today said it has no proposal to give around 8.59 lakh Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHAs) benefits enjoyed by government employees.
"Currently, there are 8.95 lakh ASHAs selected under the National Rural Health Mission. Under NHRM, ASHAs are given performance-based incentives in line with their role as honorary volunteers. There is no proposal to give them benefits like government employees," Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said in Rajya Sabha during Question Hour.
Vardhan said their honorarium ranges between Rs 800 and Rs 3,000 per month.
He also said there are no reports, at least, in the last six months which suggest that they were not getting their due on time as 80 per cent of the ASHAs get paid directly to their bank accounts.
Vardhan said to enhance competency and professional credibility of ASHAs through knowledge and skill assessment, a proposal for certification of competencies of the ASHAs by the National Institute of Open Schooling has been approved.
In the guidelines issued at the time of launch of NHRM, class eight was set as the basic educational qualification for selection of ASHAs. Subsequently, in 2012, states were requested to give preference in selection to those women who are qualified up to 10 standard wherever they are interested and available in good numbers.
"However, states are allowed flexibility of relaxing the educational and age criteria, if no suitable woman with the set criterion and qualification is available in the area," he said.
- Amma's Niece Deepa Launches Political Forum
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Kim Jong-Nam Was Killed By Lethal VX Nerve Agent
- 5 Crore Indians Suffer From Depression
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- PM Modi Unveils 112 Feet Shiva Statue In Coimbatore
- Crime Branch Begins Probe On ABVP AISA Clash At Ramjas College
- 'Do We Belong Here?' Asks Wife Of Indian Techie Who Was Shot Dead In US
- On Jayalalithaa's 69th Birth Anniversary, Niece Deepa Launches 'MGR AMMA Deepa Forum'
- Labourers In Haryana To Get Breakfast For Rs 5, Full Meal For Rs 10
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman