No Plan to Give Govt Employees' Benefit to ASHAs: Vardhan
Government today said it has no proposal to give around 8.59 lakh Accredited Social Health Activists (ASHAs) benefits enjoyed by government employees.
"Currently, there are 8.95 lakh ASHAs selected under the National Rural Health Mission. Under NHRM, ASHAs are given performance-based incentives in line with their role as honorary volunteers. There is no proposal to give them benefits like government employees," Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said in Rajya Sabha during Question Hour.
Vardhan said their honorarium ranges between Rs 800 and Rs 3,000 per month.
He also said there are no reports, at least, in the last six months which suggest that they were not getting their due on time as 80 per cent of the ASHAs get paid directly to their bank accounts.
Vardhan said to enhance competency and professional credibility of ASHAs through knowledge and skill assessment, a proposal for certification of competencies of the ASHAs by the National Institute of Open Schooling has been approved.
In the guidelines issued at the time of launch of NHRM, class eight was set as the basic educational qualification for selection of ASHAs. Subsequently, in 2012, states were requested to give preference in selection to those women who are qualified up to 10 standard wherever they are interested and available in good numbers.
"However, states are allowed flexibility of relaxing the educational and age criteria, if no suitable woman with the set criterion and qualification is available in the area," he said.
- No Extension for Kumble, BCCI Looks For Head Coach
- 4 Women Gangraped, Man Shot Dead in UP's Bulandshahr
- Fadnavis Escapes Unhurt After Chopper Crash In Latur
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10