No Inputs Taken From Us on Z Security to Som: UP Govt
Amid the controversy over the Centre according Z security to BJP MLA Sangeet Som, a Muzaffarnagar riots accused, UP government today said no inputs were taken from it on the issue even as it maintained that it will continue to provide him Y category security as per a High Court order.
"Security is the state subject. In this particular case, no input was taken by the Centre from the state before providing him the security," Secretary, Home, Kamal Saxena said.
He said there were rules and norms for providing security and it was reviewed during a meeting of IB and state officers every six months. On that basis, security could be continued or withdrawn.
Saxena also said there were examples when Centre had earlier given secruity to leaders directly.
However, when asked, he did not name any leaders.
The official said that on the directives of High Court and after analysing threat perception, the state had provided Y category security to the legislator and it would continue along with the Z security.
Based on intelligence inputs that Som, MLA from Sardhana in western Uttar Pradesh, could be targeted by extremist elements, the Union Home Ministry decided to bring him under the security umbrella of the commandos of the central paramilitary force CRPF.
"We have received a letter from the Centre regarding upgradation of Som's security to Z category," Uttar Pradesh's IG (Law and Order) Amrendra Singh Sengar told PTI earlier.
The letter has been forwarded to the agency concerned, Singh added.
The move to provie Z category security by the Centre came under scathing attack from Opposition which termed it as a "license for killing" and a cruel joke with the victims.
The BJP defended the move, saying the decision to provide security is taken based on "sufficient evidence" from intelligence sources and not on "whims and fancies".
- Congress Bastion Amethi Goes To Polls
- Assault on Kerala Actress Scares Me: Deepika
- Nokia Relaunches Iconic 3310 With Colour Display, Web Features
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- 'You Want To Make Universities Laboratories For Separatist Experiments?' Naidu Asks Congress, Left
- Madras High Court Exempts Class Xth Non-Tamil Students From Writing Examination In Tamil
- Banned SIMI Chief And 10 Others Given Life Imprisonment In Sedition Case
- Airtel Removes Roaming Charges on Calls, Data
- Now, BJP MP Pratap Simha Compares Kargil Martyr's Daughter With Dawood Ibrahim
- Political Speeches, Anti-Trump Jibes Dominate Oscars 2017
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Delhi Court Acquits 2 In 2005 Serial Blasts, Sentences Third Accused To 10-Year Jail Term
- Govt Plans Chaupals To Link Weaker Sections To Cashless System
- Modi's Voice Not Of A Roaring Lion, Feebler Than A Mouse, Says Rahul Gandhi
- Over 400 Academicians From International Varsities Write Open Letter To JNU Vice Chancellor Over Recent Events