No Indian Fisherman in Lankan Jails Now
For the first time this year no Indian fisherman is in Sri Lankan jail, following the release of 94 fishermen yesterday by the island nation.
Officials said hundreds of Indian fishermen had been apprehended by Lanka Navy while fishing in their waters and with the release of the latest batch, none of them is now in Lankan custody.
The fishermen issue is a very emotive one for both the countries. While Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has been repeatedly pressing the Centre to take it up with Lankan leadership, there was tremendous pressure on the Sri Lankan government to initiate judicial process against the apprehended Indian fishermen, resulting in their prolonged detention.
Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa had announced release of all Indian fishermen ahead of his visit to New Delhi to attend Prime Minister Narendra Modi's swearing-in ceremony on May 26.
Lanka has released 225 Indian fishermen since the Modi government took over.
The 94 fishermen belonging to Ramanathapuram, Nagapattinam and Pudukottai districts, who were released by the island nation yesterday, were taken into custody by the Lankan Navy last month.
India has been maintaining that it is a humanitarian issue and has always recommended talks between fishermen associations from both the sides.
- K.P.S. Gill, Who Killed Terrorism In Punjab, Dies
- K.P.S. Gill: The Man Who Won The Terror Battle In Punjab
- K.P.S. Gill Ruled Indian Hockey With An Iron Fist
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Rajamouli's 'Baahubali 2' to release in China
- Angry Over Amit Shah's Comment, Telangana CM Says No Final Decision On Supporting BJP For President Post
- Indian Woman Uzma, Who Was Forced to Marry Pakistani Man, Returns Home, Swaraj Calls Her 'India's Daughter'
- Malayali Man Brings His Pakistani Lover And Her Parents to India With Fake Docs, All Detained in Bengaluru
- What Exactly Is The Govt Celebrating? Rahul Questions 'Modi's Three Year' Festivities
- IT Dept Raids 22 Locations In Benami Land Deal Case Linked To Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Mamata Banerjee Discusses Joint Candidate for President Polls with Sonia Gandhi
- Petrol Price Cut By Rs 2.16 per Litre, Diesel By Rs 2.10