No Alliance With Cong at the Cost of Self-Respect: Praful Patel
Stating that there had been no response from Congress on the seat-sharing for the Maharashtra assembly elections, senior NCP leader Praful Patel today said that "we favour an alliance but it won't be at the cost of self-respect."
"We will not have alliance with Congress by compromising on our honour and prestige," the Rajya Sabha member and former union minister told reporters here.
Declining to reveal the number of seats NCP had sought (polls for the 288-seat assembly are due in two months), Patel said, "We have given Congress a proposal and are awaiting response."
Several NCP workers wanted the party to contest on its own to better its chances of winning more seats, he said.
After NCP won double the number of Lok Sabha seats than Congress, the Sharad Pawar-led party's leaders are seeking more seats for assembly polls. In Lok Sabha elections, Congress won two while NCP won four seats in the state.
Senior NCP leaders like deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar have said that NCP should either get half (144) of the seats, or it should go it alone. In 2009, Congress had contested 174 seats and NCP 114.
FROM OUTLOOKCongressAs the elections approach, expectations are high in the Congress that the Gandhi bahu will give a call...more from outlook>>>
FROM THE WEBPoliticsFormer Uttar Pradesh Congress President Rita Bahugmore from WEB>>>
FROM WIRESNew Delhi, July 23 (pti) Mohan Prakash, former genmore from WIRES>>>
- Pak Violates Ceasefire Twice in Kathua, Rajouri, Jawan Injured
- Twin Raids in Northern Iraq by Suicide Bombers, 16 Killed
- Don't Release Funds to State Till They Implement Lodha Panel Recommendations: SC Tells BCCI
- Govt Assures Prompt Action on ATM Card Data Breach
- Trump's National Political Director 'Steps Back' From Campaign
- Five Naval Men Held for Attacking Youth in Goa
- Watch: The Trailer of Hugh Jackman's Last Wolverine Film, Logan
- Daily Curator: It's All About The Family
- Daily Curator: All That Chest Thumping Can Accomplish
- This 'Chaiwala' From Pakistan First Broke The Internet; Now He Has A Modelling Contract
- Daily Curator: How To Burn A Hole In Your Food Pipe And Other Stories
- Watch: Jack Reacher-Never Go Back Trailer
- Films, TV Potent Means to Improve Indo-Pak Ties: Digvijay
- Kabaddi Player Rohit Kumar Arrested in Wife's Suicide Case, Father Surrenders
- Irrigation Investment Essential to Boost Farm Output: Jaitley
- Army Foils Infiltration Bid Along LoC in Poonch
- Try to Bring Back Youths to Mainstream: Mehbooba to Police
- SC Asks Parsvnath to Hand Over Flat to MoS Rathore in Two Days
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Notice to Katju on Petition Against His Blog Post on Beef
- Following Rajnath Singh's Orders, Delhi Police Forms SIT to Trace Missing JNU Student
- Discriminatory Practises Cannot Be Held Integral to Freedom of Religion: Law Minister on Triple Talaq
- Congress' Rita Bahuguna Joins BJP, Hits Out at Rahul for 'Khoon Ki Dalali'