Nitish Pitches For Bharat Ratna to Lohia, Karpoori Thakur
Senior JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar today proposed that socialist leader Ram Manohar Lohia and former Bihar Chief Minister Karpoori Thakur be considered for Bharat Ratna for their contribution to the country.
Conferring the highest civilian award of the country on them would increase the prestige of the award, Kumar said on a social networking site.
"This will happen only when this award is given to those who have really done great work involving sacrifice and hard work for the country," he said.
Pitching in favour of Lohia, the former Bihar Chief Minister said Lohia prepared the ground for the role of opposition in Parliament when the country was in the nascent stage of democracy.
"Whatever Ram Manohar Lohia did in the socio-political field is invaluable. He changed the thousand-year old social structure by the power of democracy and by democratisation of the society he changed the direction of politics in the country," said Kumar.
"The concept of non-alignment in India's foreign policy was Lohia's contribution. He opposed the capturing of Tibet by China, started agitation against Nepal's Ranashahi (monarchy) and went to jail for the Liberation of Goa," added Kumar.
Lauding Karpoori Thakur's role, Kumar said it was Thakur who had implemented the socio-political awareness brought in the country by Lohia.
"Thakur gave place to the marginalised people and communities in the administrative system, strengthened the political stream to fight social ills and inspired the future leaders to the fact that the aim of social equality could be achieved with the help of politics," Kumar said.
- DMK Objects to Jayalalithaa's Portraits
- 'I Am Not Scared Of ABVP', DU Student And Kargil Martyr's Daughter's Facebook Post Goes Viral Sends Strong Message To ABVP
- 'Delhi Police Has Become Agent of BJP'
- Modi To Face Love Challenge In 2019
- Wonderful, Precise And Very Cool: How Do Our Money Up-Chucking Machines Work?
- "I'm Only Passing Through" 10 Leonard Cohen Songs That You Must Listen To
- Blackout For NDTV Stirs The Media
- Daily Curator: The Dominion Of Misunderstood Men Over Headlines
- Daily Curator: Of Holes Being Poked Into The Bhopal Encounter And The Origins Of Chyawanprash
- Watch: Viral Video Has Man Lighting Up A Line Of Crackers Attached To His Mouth
- Censor Board Responsible for Preserving India's Culture: Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ramjas Violence: College Forms Panel to Probe Students' Role
- 'Rs 10 Lakh Each Paid To 141 Families Of Manual Scavengers': TN Govt Tells Madras HC
- China's Bad Loans In 2016 Came Up To A Whopping USD 220 Billion
- Donkeys, Pigeons And Even Kasab: Morsels Of Madness From Uttar Pradesh
- DCW Orders Probe into Alleged Attacks on Women by Cops at DU
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED
- Boys In MP Forced To Dip Hands In Boiling Oil As 'Innocence Test', To Prove They Hadn't Stolen Mobile
- Hafiz Saeed Can Pose A Serious Threat To Nation, Says Pakistan's Defence Minister
- 5 Killed As Aircraft Smashes Into Melbourne Shopping Complex
- Nestle Sales Was Hit By Rs 100 Crore Post Demonetisation, Says Company Chairman