Nithari Killer Surinder Koli to Be Hanged on Sept 12
Nithari serial killer Surinder Koli, who has been sentenced to death for the brutal killing of a 14-year-old girl, will be hanged here on September 12, Jail Superintendent S H M Rizvi said tonight.
"The hanging will be carried out on September 12...All the rules and procedures will be followed", he told reporters here.
A warrant was issued on Wednesday by Ghaziabad's Additional sessions Judge Atul Kumar Gupta in the name of 42-year-old Koli that he should be hanged to death after the convict exhausted all his legal remedies in this case.
Koli, lodged in a jail in Ghaziabad, has been sentenced to death in connection with the killing of Rimpa Halder and in four other cases.
This will be the first execution of a death sentence convict under the new NDA government.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh had earlier recommended to President Pranab Mukherjee that Koli's mercy plea be rejected, barely a month after he had taken over as the minister.
The President rejected the mercy petition on July 27, paving the way for the judicial process to commence for hanging of Koli.
There are 11 cases of murder pending against Koli. CBI had filed charge sheet against him in 16 cases where he had allegedly killed children after sexually abusing them.
The Rimpa Halder case came to light in December, 2006 when a girl who went missing was found murdered later by Koli.
Investigations into the case led the probe team into more gruesome murders of children and their skeletal remains were recovered from a drain adjacent to the house where Koli was working as a domestic servant in Nithari locality of Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
Koli was awarded death sentence by a lower court, which was upheld by the Allahabad High Court and confirmed by the Supreme Court on February 15, 2011 for the murder of Rimpa Halder in 2005.
Holding that Koli "appears to be the serial killer", the court had said "No mercy can be shown to him."
A total of 16 cases were registered against Koli. His employer Moninder Singh Pandher, who was also sentenced to death in Rimpa Halder case, was acquitted by the Allahabad High Court.
Out of 16 cases filed against Koli, he has been awarded death sentence in five of them so far and others are still under trial.
- Pak Balochistan Province Assembly Resolution Condemns Modi
- PM's Fresh Bid on Kashmir: Talks of 'Ekta' And 'Mamata'
- JNU Rape Case: Varsity Suspends Accused Scholar
- Curfew in Some Parts of Srinagar, Two Towns in South Kashmir
- Trump Vows to Begin Deportations Immediately If Sworn In
- Pak: LeJ Terrorists Involved in Lanka Cricket Team Attack Killed
- Myntra Says It Wasn't Us But #BoycottMyntra Trends
- Javadekar Becomes Toast Of Twitter On Freedom Fighter Comment
- Manish Sisodia Sacks Hospital Employee For Watching Video While On Duty
- Daily Curator: Vijay Goel's Olympic Entourage Likened to 'Bullies'
- Daily Curator: Expectant Mothers To Now Get More Paid Leave
- The Torrent Phoenix Rises Again
- Wet Outfield Denies India Chance to Level Series
- Delhi: 15-Year-Old Beaten to Death by Three Classmates, Says Police
- Scorpene Leak: DCNS Moves Aussie Court for Injunction Against The Australian
- Vadra, BJP MLA Engage in Verbal Spat Over Shaktiman
- Merkel Rejects Muslim Migrant Ban, Urges Fair Distribution
- Minor Raped by Juvenile Neighbour in Delhi
- MOST VIEWED
- MOST COMMENTED